Ossia yeast.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
I am an amateur home winemaker and heard about this organic yeast. I would be grateful for any input that might be offered regarding special nutritional needs or things I would need to watch for. Would Ossia be a good all-purpose replacement for EC-1118? Many thanks in advance.

I am an amateur home winemaker and heard about this organic yeast. I would be grateful for any input that might be offered regarding special nutritional needs or things I would need to watch for. Would Ossia be a good all-purpose replacement for EC-1118? Many thanks in advance.

It depends on your goal. If you want to produce an organic wine, using an organic yeast like Ossia is a way to go as many yeasts such as EC-1118 are not organic. EC-1118 does come in an organic version, as well, called EC-1118 Organic. Like organics in general, the organic form of EC-1118 is more expensive. If your concern is reducing the risk of H2S, EC-1118 is a low H2S producer (not zero like Ossia) and has other benefits.

Ossia requires nitrogen supplementation during early fermentation. Stay above 59F, preferably between 64F and 90F.

Last edited:
It depends on your goal. If you want to produce an organic wine, using an organic yeast like Ossia is a way to go as many yeasts such as EC-1118 are not organic. EC-1118 does come in an organic version, as well, called EC-1118 Organic. Like organics in general, the organic form of EC-1118 is more expensive. If your concern is reducing the risk of H2S, EC-1118 is a low H2S producer (not zero like Ossia) and has other benefits.

Ossia requires nitrogen supplementation during early fermentation. Stay above 59F, preferably between 64F and 90F.
What makes a yeast not organic? Is just that it is not listed as fully organic?

What makes a yeast not organic? Is just that it is not listed as fully organic?

Some yeasts are available in an organic and non-organic form. The very popular EC-1118 is an example.
Organic yeast is produced in using totally organic nutrient solutions. In addition, all ingredients in the yeast production process are non-GMO. Many governments including the EU, the USA, and Australia have requirements for a yeast to be labeled organic.

Back