Oscar 900 juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Junior
Reaction score
Hi

My first batch of wine is mango, i'm not to sure i have done the right thing though!

I took 2.5kg (approx 5lb) of flesh and put it through my Oscar 900 juicer, this separates the juice from the pulp.I then added back the pulp to the juice and fermented it for 10 days(added campden tablet, yeast etc).

After just reading the threads about the steamer juicers, should i have added the pulp back?
The recipe said to put the pulp in and mash it to help "release" the juice/flavour, i ran the fruit through the juicer on my idea.

Should i have added the pulp back? I'm sure it would have had some flavour.

Cheers

Woody

Steam juicers are different than regular juicers. Post your recipe so we can better help.
Foy you its best to add everything to a strainer bag so its easier to remove the pulp once fermented.
I'll wait for what you did to better answer.

3-4 lbs of freshly peeled mangoes
2 ½ lbs of sugar
7 ¼ pts of water
1 ½ tsp acid blend
2 Campden tablets
½ tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrients
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp Wine Yeast

This was the recipe i used, i didn'tuse/have theacid blend, pectic enzyme or tannin.
The pulp certainly seemed "goodenough to eat" so i'm almost sure it would have been worth using.

woody

OK,
do you have a hydrometer? if not get one as well as pectic enzyme and acid blend which is a must when doing fruit wines. Your will will be had at best to clear as mangos have alot of pulp. its important in fruit wines to make a lower % wine as the alcohol can overpower the fruit. This is why a hydrometer is important. The recipe that calles for __ # of sugar happened to work for THAT time. Consider the ripeness of the fruit. The riper the more sugar content. Always add sugar to bring the gravity up to 1.085. You will find the next time you may need more or less.
Also in fruit wines no real need to juice the fruit. rather pit and slice and let the pectic do the work. This also helps in clearing.

OK,
do you have a hydrometer? if not get one as well as pectic enzyme and acid blend which is a must when doing fruit wines. Your will will be had at best to clear as mangos have alot of pulp. its important in fruit wines to make a lower % wine as the alcohol can overpower the fruit. This is why a hydrometer is important. The recipe that calles for __ # of sugar happened to work for THAT time. Consider the ripeness of the fruit. The riper the more sugar content. Always add sugar to bring the gravity up to 1.085. You will find the next time you may need more or less.
Also in fruit wines no real need to juice the fruit. rather pit and slice and let the pectic do the work. This also helps in clearing.

Tom - If you don't use your juicer for fruit wines, what do you use it for?

I use a STEAM JUICER !
see below

picture.php
[/IMG]

I use a STEAM JUICER !
see below

picture.php
[/IMG]

I remember your juicer. You had me almost convinced to get one. Then you said not to use a juicer for fruit. That's why I asked.

:u
Oh no. :slp This juicer is used for 100% fruit. I have steam juiced, Strawberry, Blueberry, Mango, Peach, Pear, Kiwi, Pineapple. And I'm sure others.
Always best to freeze the fruit BEFORE steam juicing.

:u
Oh no. :slp This juicer is used for 100% fruit. I have steam juiced, Strawberry, Blueberry, Mango, Peach, Pear, Kiwi, Pineapple. And I'm sure others.
Always best to freeze the fruit BEFORE steam juicing.

THAT is the juicer enthusiasm I remember!

Over the fall I scored about 5 cases (40-50#ea) of Pears FREE:mny. I juiced them and "canned" them. over the weekend I did another batch (3rd one going now). Thats whats so great about the steam juicer. Make it at MY timing not the fruit's.
Last week I scored 9# of Blackberries (free) so I froze them. Now they are just "waiting" to get "juiced" LOL ! :sm

Thanks Tom,

I do have a hydrometer now, and willget the other bits you mention.
When should i use the hydrometer and when should i add the sugar?

Regards
Colin

You should use your hrdrometer;

after your "juice" is in the fermenting bucket

If adding sugar download WineCalc from the internet to see how much to add

Ck again

ck again during fermentation

ck again after fermentation

ck again if back sweetening

got the idea, you will use it many times in making wine. As you make your next wine ck here and ask if you are not sure BEFORE you do anything.
Good luck

Okay, I was under the impression that you could crush fruit in a bag and add it to the primary if you were using water, which this recipe is. However, if you don't want filler (water), then wouldn't juicing it be the alternative? I probably wouldn't add the pulp back.

I mean, that's how you make apple cider. I know of a winery that boosts about not adding any sugar or water to their peach wine, and the nearest I can figure out is that they crushed and pressed the peaches and then let it ferment. I'm heading out there this weekend, so I can ask, I think.

Wineries lie!
Take a VERY ripe peach and check the brix with a refractometer. No way I see that the brix will be high enough without adding sugar. They may be adding something that is not called sugar but adds sweetness.

Latest posts

Back