Original Skeeter Pee Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Hounddog! Yes, I'm wondering what my final ABV will be. I read it should turn out somewhere around 10%. I've always had wine that was somewhere around 12% so it sounds a little weak to me. Not having had any Skeeter Pee before I'm not sure what taste I will want to end up with. I don't particularly like it very sweet but lemon is lemon and if it's too tart I'm not against back sweetening it. I'm unsure about adding Everclear to boost the alcohol. How much does that affect the taste? I thought I read somewhere that being distilled from grain it can adversely affect the flavor. If I decided to go ahead and use it how much would I use without having wine that would knock me on my A$$ when I tried to stand up. I don't think I would want it over 14 or 15%.
no. that is what i like, kinda a base line to look at, i love old fashioned lemonade, i have told some and they ended up using half the lemon that i do, you figure the taste you want, then, you on the next batch keep step feeding you SG to get that taste, if done with either K1V-1116 or EZ-1118 your batch will end up from 18% to 21% if you work it right, once you find the taste you like, that is your base line, the yeast will convert your sugar to alcohol that's why once you find your taste level , then you keep step feeding to that FSG, so when it stalls out you are at the taste you want, and you'll have zero alcohol taste, my numbers are for me, it is a visual for you, you find the taste you like, my skeeter pee port will knock you on the dirt, lol and do so while tasting good ,,, i have several people that hate the taste of alcohol, that all but wait on my door steps waiting for more skeeter pee, i make 12# to 14# cases at a time of skeeter pee, I' m waiting on more corks to come so i came get started, i have 5#-6's of skeeter pee, 3#-6's elderberry/blackberry,,, 2#-6's strawberry,, 1#-6 of banana,,, 2#-6's of blueberry/black raspberry/tart cherry,,,, 4#-6's of apple,,, 4#-6's of pear,, and 2#-6's of dragon blood
2#-6's of peach and a few more i can't think of right now, all from 18 months to some close to 36 months and several in-between that, in the freezer i got 4 gallon pear concentrate and 2 gallon peach concentrate, i half to bottle all my bulk aging so i can start new musts, i got me 2#-55 gallon open top drums, my brutes are to small anymore,, so at hand i got 2#-55 gallon, 1#-32 gallon and 2#-14 gallon ferment vessels. it is as easy to ferment 50 gallon batches as it is small batches, now a second thought would be to use a yeast with a lower tolerance to alcohol, most of my other wines i like a ABV of 6 to 7, some i run higher but i use less fluids in my concentrates to balance of taste and ABV, my wines are no where as sweet as they sound,,, beings of extra flavor and extra alcohol. which does balance my wines, my wines are hotter than most others, but you can't tell it when you sip it. my wines fit right in with sweet tea and kool-aide , or a soda, in other words something to enjoy under a shade tree while relaxing, i have never used simple syrup, i always use dry sugar, and stir using a cordless drill, I've never heated nothing,,
Dawg

The skeeter pee I posted about last March was a failure. It didn't ferment and I ended up dividing it and adding it to some other batches. One turned out ok, one was terrible and one was darn good! I started my second batch of skeeter pee this week. I think I have learned a few things during my first year of winemaking. This batch is going like crazy! I am making 5 gallon batch with a slurry from some blueberry wine I just made. It will be ready to rack into a carboy tomorrow. I started with a SG of 1.070 as was suggested in the first post on this thread. I'm wondering if I should have run it a little higher, 1.090. I'm planning to share this batch this summer.
Wouldn't worry at all about having the low s.g. Start drinkin it when it is hot out, goes down smoothe and before too long it will kick you the wrong way. Keep the alcohol taste out and it will drink really somooth. Just kinda keep an eye on who is drinkin how much. It is all good. Used to bottle this stuff in 10 oz. pop bottles. Old retunables from way back when, anyway start sucking on them and after a few it will cause lights out. Remember at 10 percent if you drink 10 oz of the stuff you have just consumed an ounce of pure ethenol. little addition my ol buddy @hounddawg makes it his way and I make it mine. Have to tell ya both ways are good. Think both of us will tell ya try it your way. Arne.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Arne, post: 816492, member: 178
Wouldn't worry at all about having the low s.g. Start drinkin it when it is hot out, goes down smoothe and before too long it will kick you the wrong way. Keep the alcohol taste out and it will drink really somooth. Just kinda keep an eye on who is drinkin how much. It is all good. Used to bottle this stuff in 10 oz. pop bottles. Old retunables from way back when, anyway start sucking on them and after a few it will cause lights out. Remember at 10 percent if you drink 10 oz of the stuff you have just consumed an ounce of pure ethenol. little addition my ol buddy @hounddawg makes it his way and I make it mine. Have to tell ya both ways are good. Thinkf both of us will tell ya try it your way. Arne.
[/QUOTE]
kind of funny, been feeling ruff, just got on here just for something to do, got a bottle of spp,, out of the fridge, and most defiantly , find out how you like it and stay with the way you like @Ivywoods ,, my main point is pineapple or lemon both hide the alcohol taste, growing up at our party's we'd have a cupule half barrels/kegs of Budweiser, a gallon or two of sprits and a 48-qt cooler flull of purple passion, that's , a quart of PURE GRAIN ALCOHOL, ,, A QUART OF VODKA, A QUART OF TAKElUAL AND 2 CANS GRAPE JUICE, A CAN OF PUNCH AND 2 CANS OF PINEAPPLE JUICE AL OF WHICH ALL CANS WERE QUARTS, THEN CUT WEDGES OF APPLES, PEARS, ORGANES, LEMONS, CHIP SLICE BANANA, 2 LITTLE SOLO PLASTIC CUPS AND YOU WAS DOWN, this was for people who hated the taste of alcohol, around here back then ever spirt was quarts, Boones farm and TJ swan an mad dog wines were fifths i think, where i live winter or summer back then 95% of our parties were out side miles from the highways, and had giant bomb fires, so big you could stay warm at 20 feet, but you had to turn every few minutes or cook,,, no joke,,,, lol
Dawg

This batch fermented down to .998 so I transferred it to a carboy my son gave me. He said it was a 6 gallon carboy. It is 7 gallons so way too much headspace. I added 1:1 sugar/water and another bottle of lemon. Holy smokes I didn't expect it to do this! It's been going nuts! I don't think I need to worry about the ABV being too low!

Dang! I took a video but it won't upload. Anyway it bubbled right up through the bubbler and out the top. That was several days ago and it is still bubbling like crazy.

This batch fermented down to .998 so I transferred it to a carboy my son gave me. He said it was a 6 gallon carboy. It is 7 gallons so way too much headspace. I added 1:1 sugar/water and another bottle of lemon. Holy smokes I didn't expect it to do this! It's been going nuts! I don't think I need to worry about the ABV being too low!

Dang! I took a video but it won't upload. Anyway it bubbled right up through the bubbler and out the top. That was several days ago and it is still bubbling like crazy.
is the glass clear or maybe a light green, years ago i had one of my grandpa's still in it's crate, a cousin of mine was mad at me and broke it, i got 3 of his fingers broke before they peeled me off him, i was 11 and he was 12,,, just kid stuff, now i'd went for his neck,,, lol mine was light green 7 gallon, also we get along now, like i said kid stuff,,,,
Dawg

What makes Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood ready to consume so quickly? The lemon juice?

I made some that is too acidic and don’t want to waste it. If I combine it with another fruit wine (I have some persimmons in freezer), will it be suitable to consume within a couple weeks of bottling?

What makes Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood ready to consume so quickly? The lemon juice?

I made some that is too acidic and don’t want to waste it. If I combine it with another fruit wine (I have some persimmons in freezer), will it be suitable to consume within a couple weeks of bottling?
try back sweetening
Dawg

As @hounddawg says, backsweeten! Most (non-grape) fruit wines benefit from at least a little sugar.

My Skeeter Pee tastes like tart lemonade at first. I recently opened a bottle from last summer and it has smoothed a little, so time should help if you have it backsweetened to your taste already.

Search for "dragonette" to see how people tweaked the recipe to use less lemon juice.

Aren’t most fruit wines light body/low tannin?
Not necessarily. Elderberry is the poster child for "heavy body", and some varieties of apple (e.g., crabapple) are highly tannic.

I add powdered tannin to fruit wines, and would consider adding fermentation oak.

Isn't the 1/2 tsp of k meta alot? Thought it was 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons?
Huh, you're right. I went to Lon D's website and the recipe at the beginning of this thread is cut and pasted from there.

You'd have to ask Lon, I suppose. Personally, I stick with the normal 1/4 tsp for 5 or 6 gallons, or 1/8 for 3 gallons (since I normally make a 6 gallon batch and split into two 3 gallon carboys.

I gotta say. I dont prefer sweet wines but this stuff is good. I did use less sugar. It really kinda taste white grape wine. I also carbonated some and its "champagne " like.

I’ve been off line for a while, but I’m getting ready To make another batch of Skeeter P.
I’m going to read through this thread to see if anything has changed or improved since my last batch. I’ll post my results

Back