Original Skeeter Pee Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys!
I started my skeeter pee on Feb 6. Tonight I racked again, added the rest of the lemon juice and back sweetened.

The original recipe says the let it sit for another 2 weeks, but I tried it, and man it is GOOD!!
I only added 3cups of sugar to my batch, I don't like really sweet drinks. It is perfect.
Now I need to make more! I can tell it won't last long. I am so happy with this recipe!!

You stated you "(added the rest of the lemon juice) and back sweetened."
Did you get that part of the process somewhere else or did you just do it to flavor to your own taste? This has been a thought of mine, but I have not done it this way. Did it bring on more lemon flavor without adding too much bitterness or (acidity)?? Seems like a lot to me but every ones taste is different. Thanks!

I'm going to pull a half gallon and experiment with it. Thanks

If you follow "djrockinsteve" version of the recipe, he adds the lemon at the end. The fermentation doesn't like lemon much, and he adds his concentrates (cranberry) up front to get fermentation going and adds lemon at the end.

Hey guys!
I started my skeeter pee on Feb 6. Tonight I racked again, added the rest of the lemon juice and back sweetened.

The original recipe says the let it sit for another 2 weeks, but I tried it, and man it is GOOD!!
I only added 3cups of sugar to my batch, I don't like really sweet drinks. It is perfect.
Now I need to make more! I can tell it won't last long. I am so happy with this recipe!!

You and Jamie sneaking a drink of that skeeter pee:: or are ya'll waiting until the 20th:i

You and Jamie sneaking a drink of that skeeter pee:: or are ya'll waiting until the 20th:i

I ended up bottling on the 13th, so I had some to take away on my trip:)
I tastes wonderful!!!!

Already through 5 bottles or so!

I need to get on making some dragon blood here soon. :HB

I made a batch of this last year and it didn't have the lemon flavor I wanted. It just tasted like alcohol and had little if any lemon flavor. Someone said adding sugar will bring out the lemon flavor. I never got around to it so it's been sitting in a carboy for nearly a year. Well, I finally got around to it recently. Adding sugar made it taste like alcohol with more sugar in it, so I tried adding more lemon juice. Maybe I didn't have enough on hand because it only made it taste like sugary watered down lemonade with lots of alcohol. I got tired of messing with it and ended up pouring it all down the drain to fee up my carboy for some gewürztraminer that I needed to start.

Not sure where I went wrong and I can't find my notes. About all I can remember is that I used a champagne yeast instead of a starter because it's what I had on hand. I may try it again if I can time a batch after a white wine so I can use the slurry, and stick to the recipe as best I can. I think I'll try a Dragons Blood before I do though, because I just ordered a Hard Pink Lemonade kit to fill the lemonade gap this spring.

Happy Friday! I put a few bottles of Skeeter Pee in the fridge a year ago. I had gotten it a little to hot but drank most of it anyway. It was like a bad tasting beer...if you can get thru the first glass, then it's not too bad. Ha! Anyway, this SP that's been in the fridge is amazing! I had one glass as is and the 2nd glass I added about 1/3 pk jolly rancher cherry single. You know the little stick pkg's. It's good too!!
My son told me he wanted me to "drunk call" him one night. Hey...this may be the night! He's 200 miles out in the Gulf, he needs a call. Don't y'all agree?
But seriously, y'all stash some for a year.

I really want to try making Skeeter Pee (why is it called that?) with real lemons and also don't understand why do you have to use dead yeast from a previous wine???

I really want to try making Skeeter Pee (why is it called that?) with real lemons and also don't understand why do you have to use dead yeast from a previous wine???

You don't have to and many of us don't. The original thought was to use yeast from a previous batch of wine and that yeast will give your pee and different flavor.
A lot of us just pitch fresh yeast.

Skeeter = mosquito(because it is typically a summer drink, when the mosquitoes are out)
Pee = because it resembles pee

First stir today of my first pee batch. Pitched yeast 2 days ago. Fermentation looks good, it's like stirring pop!

Thanks for the recipe! I've got my yeast starter going and I'm adding it to the must tonight (too impatient to wait for slurry from other fermenting batches). Used EC-1118, hoping for a good ferment. First batch I've made that wasn't a mere gallon!

Got Distracted

Got distracted, mixed up the energizer and nutrient, should I skip the second tsp of energizer at the 1/3 fermentation phase since I added 3tsp up front?

My first batch lasted less than a week, not counting my little half gallon carboy which is still clearing itself, so I've started batch #2, hopefully a nice little labor day treat. :)

I felt like the original recipe didn't have enough lemon in it, so this batch will have it upped a bit (used 20oz per gallon last time) post fermentation. I also added 6# (for 3 gallons) of triple berry mix. The last batch was good, but something a little less watery and a bit more fruity is the goal this time round. I looked at Dragon's Blood and it uses less lemon and less fruit, with a few people complaining about watery wine, so I ignored the lemon/lime suggestion and I doubled the fruit. Will pitch yeast tomorrow evening.

And now to the LHBS, stupid me broke my hydrometer!

Latest posts

Back