Original Skeeter Pee Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch that the gravity has been at 1.010 for almost week and half I have stirred it several times to intro some oxygen. What can I do to get the gravity lower? or should I just transfer it to the carboy and add the finishing products

What did it start at, SG-wise?
Did you use EC-1118 yeast?

If your initial SG was around 1.090-1.100 and you used the above yeast, you may want to throw another packet of EC-1118 yeast in to see if it will eat up the rest of the sugar.
Honestly, after a week and a half, I would probably rack it into a carboy and see if it will finish dropping.

What did it start at, SG-wise?
Did you use EC-1118 yeast?

If your initial SG was around 1.090-1.100 and you used the above yeast, you may want to throw another packet of EC-1118 yeast in to see if it will eat up the rest of the sugar.
Honestly, after a week and a half, I would probably rack it into a carboy and see if it will finish dropping.
The starting SG was 1.070 I didn't use a yeast I used a slurry from another batch and added yeast energizer and nutrients like the recipe call for I added more energizer and nutrients after 3 days the SG is still 1.010 so im going rack it this evening and let clear

I gotcha.
I have never made it that way. I always start my SG at 1.090'ish and use a packet of yeast.

You may try throwing a packet of EC-1118 in there if you want to get it to use the rest of the sugar. Right now you will have a semi-sweet wine with very low alcohol.

I gotcha.
I have never made it that way. I always start my SG at 1.090'ish and use a packet of yeast.

You may try throwing a packet of EC-1118 in there if you want to get it to use the rest of the sugar. Right now you will have a semi-sweet wine with very low alcohol.
I did rack it last night! the semi-sweet will be ok because I am going to add a strawberry/kiwi flavoring at the end :) the alcohol should be around 8% usually I get a 12% Thanks for your help

My Pee all nice and bottled up, got 54 bottles all together this batch in 5 flavors
attachment.php

My Pee all nice and bottled up, got 54 bottles all together this batch in 5 flavors
attachment.php

Love the labels! What do you use for flavoring? Different fruits during ferm or concentrate to backsweeten or something different.

Love the labels! What do you use for flavoring? Different fruits during ferm or concentrate to backsweeten or something different.

I used frozen concentrate from Walmart, one can per gallon, added after I stabalized. I ended up adding 1/2 cup of sugar to each of the flavored batches to get it just right for my taste.

I really want to do this, the recipe says yeast slurry and I ready that you can just make a yeast starter. But can I just sprinkle the yeast on Top like I did for my other wine? FYI this is only my second batch of anything lol

I really want to do this, the recipe says yeast slurry and I ready that you can just make a yeast starter. But can I just sprinkle the yeast on Top like I did for my other wine? FYI this is only my second batch of anything lol

You might be able to get it to start by just sprinkling yeast, but starting the yeast is not hard. Warn water, I use the can I just feel some warmth when I run the water over my fingers test or about as warm as you would want a baby bottle. A pinch of sugar, let it sit 15-30 minutes with the yeast in it. The yeast willpower very nice and frothy and smell like bread baking. Pour throughout the must. You want the must at about the same temp as the yeast. About idea the key word, I never measure. Well worth the time to do this.

Bottled it added strawberry and kiwi flavoring very good for hot summer day. Now have strawberry/kiwi cranberry/lime regular skeeter pee and i'm starting a mango/coconut may add a splash of chocolate also:HB:HB:HB

You can flavor from either
a. yeast slurry from a previous batch of wine or
b. a concentrate such as Old Orchard

When your wine is clear, just add 10-12oz. per gallon, of concentrate, into your carboy and rack your wine on top of it.
Wah lah, you now have flavored SP.
With the concentrates, you have an abundance of flavor options.

question about the basic skeeter pee recipe on page one, i recently made a batch of limoncello, and having peeled 30 lemons,I put the whole lemons through my champion juicer and froze the juice,can use this juice as part of the recipe?

question about the basic skeeter pee recipe on page one, i recently made a batch of limoncello, and having peeled 30 lemons,I put the whole lemons through my champion juicer and froze the juice,can use this juice as part of the recipe?

Don't see why not. Real lemon is supposed to just be lemon juice, although I am sure fresh juice tastes better. When you get the batch all mixed up you can taste it and see if the lemon is strong enough. If not just use some real lemon with it. Arne.

Yuzu or Lemon and Coconut?

For less than what the Island Mist Yuzu Coconut kit and shipping will cost, I think I can make a similar flavored SP using yuzu juice and adding coconut extract for the coconut flavor.

Has anyone made a Yuzu version? How much yuzu juice do you recommend? How much coconut extract?

If I make a traditional Lemon SP and add coconut extract, how much extract would be a good starting point?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It's that time of the year to start thinking about what flavors of SP to make for the summer.
1. That coconut versions might be a 1 gal. batch to give it a try.
2. Cranberry Lime is on my list. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11570&page=5
3. I want to try a peach version as well.
4. Going to start a couple batches of original this week so I'll have some ready to try the different flavors.

Can't wait to try this original recipe.... I want to try at least the original and then a different flavor to have around for summer weather:)

Make 5 gal. Take one gal. and sweeten with welches cranberry, strawberry cherry, or whatever trips your trigger. Mite or might not need additional clearing, mite need a little more sweetening. Depends on your tastes. Anyway, one batch can come out a bunch of different flavors. Or make a 10 or 15 gal. batch. Around here the stuff disappears really fast when it warms up. Arne.

Starting my first batch as we speak!!:db
You should have seen the look on the guys face at the local wine store when I told him I was making "skeeter pee"!!

Latest posts

Back