Oregon Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmullin

Junior
Reaction score
I have made a few wine kits. I used to live in California, but now on a small farm in Oregon. I have room to plan some vines and hope to get some local grapes for crush. Unfortunate our local homebrew shop in Corvallis is closing. They had equipment rentals, so they will be missed. The next closest shop supplies perhaps but to far for rentals. Nice to be on the forum

Welcome to WMT. Glad to have you here.🙂 Are you interested in country wines as well?

What kind of vines is a good question. In this area red Pinot Noir is king, but that's a difficult grape. Professional winemakers have a hard time with consistency but, there is a vintner that sells grapes near by. They will crush and stem small amounts and I cal bring home a 5 gallon bucket of juice. There are many whites around, Pinot gris is one but we also like the blends. I am planning on making a variety of country wines. Muscadine, cane berry, perry, cider and others if possible. Its ambitious, but we have plenty of room and I am retired. The farm outside of Corvallis we are on already has some apple, pears, asian pears, plums and some grapes. The grapes aren't where we would plant a vineyard. We have an upper pasture with lots of sun might go there. Picking out the correct vines is a good but tough question. We have done some local wine tasting, but with Covid not much. Really unfortunately our local homebrew shop is closing down so supplies and advice are not going to be closeby. There are others about 90 minutes away. Possible but not frequently. Its actually one of the reasons I joined the forum.

Welcome
I am in Portland but that is a bit far
I have seen some plans for home made destemers and crushers on you tube if you are handy at stuff like that.
Would love to see the vineyard when you are finnished.

There's a lot of great information and help here from folks who have done exactly what you're planning. Even if your plans change. Sounds like you have a good resource nearby for grapes as you get started. Lot's of country wines being made here too. Looking forward to seeing your plans and progress ~

Latest posts

Back