Oregon Wine Tour

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
So,

As a few of you might know I spent the summer in Oregon doing an internship. One of the things that I fell in love with a lot of things in the pacific northwest. These include, an abundance of mead, cider, cheese, good wholesome food and last but not least, great wine.

One of the more interesting opportunities while I was in Oregon involved getting to go on an all expenses paid wine tour. We visited three wineries.

The first was depontecellars, which is kind of cenetered in a cute little firehouse thing.

http://www.depontecellars.com/lonesome-rock

They had some good wine, all of them had a fairly strong greenpepper/ spicy notes in them. They said this was from terroir. However, I am not quite sure I bought that. Either way, their wines were good but at the price point I did not get any. However, the staff at the winery was great and I would recommend a visit.

The second winery we visited was Arbor Brook. It was themed of a farm house like building. I tried a few of the reds and they were good, but the wines that the showed the best from them were the whites. We purchased a Pinot Gris and a pho ice wine from them. The ice wine has already been consumed, so sorry no review. However, a review on the pinot gris will come later for those who are interested.

http://www.arborbrookwines.com/

The third, and my personal favorite, though it might be because they had A/C, was Ribbon Ridge Estate, or aramenta cellars, depending on your choice of names. This place has been many things before, but the people who run it are like a great mom and pop pair. They have farmed and made many things, and even make some of their own cheeses.

From these guys we purchased their 2010 claret, and a 2010 and 2012 pinot noir. I would highly recommend giving these guys a visit.

http://www.aramentacellars.com/

So our first review is of the Claret from aramanta cellars. This is actually the first claret I have ever tried, but from I have read it is pretty much a west coast reinterpretation of a Bordeaux blend.

Colour: Deep dark black verging on inky.

Nose: Fresh cherry/blackberry on the front, hints of vanilla and oak with a subtle spicey smell.

Taste: Strong slightly bitter tannins, not very smokey, but with evidence of oak and moderate mouth feel. It has a fresh fruit/berry forward ness to it, that is balanced by the bitter tannins, which is kind of an interesting balance if you ask me. It is possible that this wine could benefit from a prolonged decanting to level the tannins a bit. if you look for it, I sometimes kind of feel a bitter dark chocolate flavour in it.

Overall, I think it is a very enjoyable wine and is actually kind of refreshing.

20140823_212414.jpg

20140823_212404.jpeg

You didn't stop by to say hi to me. :-( lol jk. Glad you had an enjoyable experience!

The second winery we visited was Arbor Brook.

So one of the wines that I took home from arbor brook is a pinot gris.

For those wanting to know more about the grape....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinot_gris

The aroma is heavy of melon, honeydew and nectory fruit. Maybe a hint of creaminess.

Visual

Pale greayish yellow, very clear.

Taste/ balance

Creamy smooth mouth feel, definite acid balance. Dry but very bright and fruity. Exotic fruit after taste. Finish is not too long, but last long enough.Alcohol is noticeable but not intrusive.

Overall

A nice wine, great to have after a hot day outside or a cozy night in. Well balanced. I definitely enjoy it, even though I tend to go for reds.

20140828_215829.jpg

BTW all, I enjoy reading your comments and I hope to keep sharing my Oregon wine experience with you guys as I open the bottles.

Great Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris in OR. The Pinot Noir is VERY different from Cali Pinot Noir and goes wonderful with Salmon. :hug

Oh yeah, I can second that the pinot noir in OR is much different than in Cali. I am pretty sure the next couple of wines I will end up describing are pinot noirs.

Latest posts

Back