oregon grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
I've seen these around over the years, but rarely see enough to bother with. But this year they are abundant. :h

Wine or Jelly? I'll start picking and see how many pounds I get and then decide.

Oregon+Grape.jpg

I have noticed the Jack Keller recipe for Oregon grape (Mahoning aquifolium), but I usually don't find sufficient quantities of wild berries to harvest. I guess it makes a great wine that is similar to black currant. I am going scouting for huckleberries today, and will pay attention to areas wit Oregon grape.

My wife always says they are toxic, but this is simply an old wife's tale.

I have noticed the Jack Keller recipe for Oregon grape (Mahoning aquifolium), but I usually don't find sufficient quantities of wild berries to harvest. I guess it makes a great wine that is similar to black currant. I am going scouting for huckleberries today, and will pay attention to areas wit Oregon grape.

My wife always says they are toxic, but this is simply an old wife's tale.

Most tart wild berries are toxic in quantity.

This really is a great year for these berries, but they are small. In my initial picking, it is early, but there is a LOT more around then I was aware of. As they ripen, and if I can get to them before the deer, I should get enough for wine and jelly. :h

Last edited:
Oregon because native to western North America.
Grape because it looks like a grape and has a bloom (not the flower) like a grape.

Started picking these yesterday, and was to get all I needed this morning. It was going good, until I was attacked by yellow jackets. Several nasty bites on the head and some minor ones on the arm.

I wound up with 7.5 lbs and added 5.5lbs of Blueberries.

Damn wasps! GRrrrrrrrrrr!!!

OregonGrapes 013 (768x1024).jpg

OregonGrapes 014 (768x1024).jpg

Those are beautiful! I have been re-landscaping my front yard and planted a dozen of these as groundcover. They are hardy here, but I've had difficulty finding info on microclimate. Can you describe the areas where you find these thriving in the wild? Full sun? Part sun? Part shade? Damp? Dry? Anything else you can identify growing in similar spots?
This would be a great help to me, MontanaWineGuy. Thanks

Shade and damp. I live in NW Oregon and they grow in the forest where there's tree canopy and in areas with lots of water.

Shade and damp. I live in NW Oregon and they grow in the forest where there's tree canopy and in areas with lots of water.

Exactly. Somehow I'm in the middle of a big patch. Beyond my property it grows hard to find. I racked the fermenting batch and the flavor is excellent. :db

Thank for your input. Of course, codeman, isn't all of Oregon shade & damp? (just kidding). But today we took a hike up one of the ridges starting at the summit of Teton Pass (el ~ 8400) and all along the trail, both in dry and shady areas there it was Mahonia repens, with "grapes," and the ripe ones were sweet and full of tannins very reminiscent of hearty red wine grape varieties. So I think they would make an outstanding wine alone if you could get enough, or a very good addition to other native berries.

This was a good year for Oregon Grape fruit here on Whidbey Island in N.W. Washington State. I've always been curious about the merits of wine from these berries because they look so much like grapes. So one afternoon recently I easily picked 10# and now have 3 gallons almost ready to bottle. According to J.E. Underhill in the old book Wild Berries of the Pacific Northwest this wine's "big drawback is a pronounced earthy taste that takies at least a year or more to age out." I thought, "Okay, I can wait."

I consider this the Magnum Opus of my wine making. Compared to other wines I’ve recently tasted, ($15 Chiati for Salami Making, $49 bottle from Naked Wines (I didn’t pay that!), etc.) This is conservatively a $25 bottle of wine. In fact, I think it is better then that over priced Naked Wine, that had a little soapy taste to it.

Now the very best wine I’ve ever tasted was from Opus Winery during a Friend of an Employee Winery tour about 25 years ago. Now that was some good stuff. I’m not there yet. Emphasis on YET. :h

http://www.opusonewinery.com/

To recap: These berries (not really grapes) grow wild on my property and on the property nearby. I identified them years ago, but there were never enough to bother with, until this year. 2016 was banner year for these berries, and I was able to pick 7.5 lbs, until I was attacked by several wasps. I thought I might need an Epi Pen. Man those little buggers can bite. 7.5lbs was not enough so I added over 5lbs of Blueberries, and 3+ months later Voila!

Now for the picures --

OregonGrapes 013 (768x1024).jpg

OregonGrapeWine 001 (768x1024).jpg

OregonGrapeWine 004 (768x1024).jpg

Well the picking is over. No where near as good as last year. After several outings and having to range far and wide, I only bagged 5.25 lbs. I had to go all over, and found them only close to home. From what I gather these are favorites with wildlife, especially the black bears. The dog and I came across a black bear eating and was quite engaged. It took him/her 20 to 30 seconds to spot us and finally run into the deep wilderness.

I guess I will freeze what I picked and next year try and get 10lbs and then make the wine.

Neighbor called and said she was having a bumper crop of Oregon Grapes. A small crop but lots and lots of Grapes. I'm now at 8lbs of these OGs. I'm sure I can scrounge up 2 more pounds. 2017 Oregon Grape Wine. :db

An incredible crop this year. 6 gallons so far, and I am finding bigger and better patches of these berries everyday. Almost 2 gallons this morning, and I will try for another 2 gallons this afternoon. :db

There were zero last year. :(

4lbs per gallon. I am now working on the 8th gallon. Enough to make ~120 bottles that I will start in April 2020.

An interesing update to this Bumper Crop. I wasn't the only one interested in these berries. During my time spent picking, I kept seeing signs of a bear. Then I was hearing of sightings. Then I was seeing then bear, and the dog was too. The bear became brazen, showing no fear, and actually showing aggression towards the dog. I knew I was next.

I put the bear down. Shot him with my Winchester 300 Mag, a head shot. Now I am eating him. I have had bear meat before, but nothing like this. Tastes a lot like beef, but way way more tender and juicy. I tried to tan the hide, but the bear was to young and the hide to thin. I did save the claws and have been cleaning, polishing and preserving them. Not sure exactly what I will do with the claws, but I have 20 of them, so can do a variety of things with them.

CIMG4385 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:
A nice necklace from them would be good . Maybe a rawhide lace to go with it!!

Bill

That and maybe a picture of a bear with a good broad matting outlining the picture. I could cut into the matting and insert a few of the claws at the edges for a unique piece of wall art.

Or even better, I could do a rough frame (salavged weathered wood), and my router and dremel work would not have to be very precise to fit the claws into.

71-7PHf5FwL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Back