oregon grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this one better. Black Bears with the claws off a black bear. I have the perfect spot to hang it also. This is big too at 32"x48". I'm going to sleep on it, but this could be perfect.

And to really finish it would be to tie a paracord lanyard with several claws separated by copper tubing, to hang off the side of the framed print. :)

71-3hVWWTcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Bear Claws and display picture is done. Has been now for a few months. Came out really good, especially since I spent nearly nothing on it.

CIMG4398 (1024x768).jpg CIMG4402 (768x1024).jpg CIMG4410 (1024x768).jpg

I am getting anxious to start making the wine. Weather is warm for this time of the year, but still just a wee bit to cold to get a fermentation going.

Wine is fermenting nicely. Four 6 gallon worth. Another bumper crop of the berries, so I will begin making another big batch about the time this current batch is ready for bottling, next spring.

I plan on picking mahonia tomorrow, and suddenly this thread was at the top of the page. What a coincidence.

It'll be my first mahonia wine. From your posts I understand I'm in for a treat ... about a year from now. I see you use 4 lbs/gal., which is usually a bit on the thin side for most berries.

I plan on picking mahonia tomorrow, and suddenly this thread was at the top of the page. What a coincidence.

It'll be my first mahonia wine. From your posts I understand I'm in for a treat ... about a year from now. I see you use 4 lbs/gal., which is usually a bit on the thin side for most berries.

Actually, I used 8 lbs per 6 gallons. I do a lot of stirring and bag squeezing. I was even hoping to doing another batch with some reuse. When I pulled the strainer from the fermentation bucket I could see that the berries gave all.

My latest batch was Apple wine, and I passed the apples thru my meat grinder. Amazing how far them apples go when you grind them in to course paste.

Actually, I used 8 lbs per 6 gallons. I do a lot of stirring and bag squeezing. I was even hoping to doing another batch with some reuse. When I pulled the strainer from the fermentation bucket I could see that the berries gave all.

My latest batch was Apple wine, and I passed the apples thru my meat grinder. Amazing how far them apples go when you grind them in to course paste.

Less than 1,5 lbs/gal. Never heard anyone go that low on fruit before. Heard that 4 lbs/gal. works good with elderberries, but only because it's a really robust flavor.

I missed out on making wine last year. I had Sciatic Nerve issues that keep me from doing much at all. Almost 8 gallons of Oregon Grapes stayed in the freezer for a year and a half. Started up 2 six gallon buckets that stared fermenting this morning. I had run out of Yeast Nutrient and decided to see what would happen. Right on scheduled.

I was anxious to get started on this as I have almost 70lbs of sugar that I bought several years ago. I'm using it now, and in a weeks time I'll get started on 2 more six gallons of the same. :p

I racked the first 2 six gallons. I little taste test and it is so good. I'll rack the 2nd six tomorrow, and then they sit til as least next May. I also have 2 six gallons of Elderberry that is still fermenting.

Back