Ordering WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Ever been in this position when eating out with "friends"?

picture.php

All the time. I enjoy ordering wine when I'm eating out... but I get nervous when my friends want me to order the wine. I know how to make it and I know what I like, but some of them seem to think I'm some sort of expert somolier and think I'll pick out the perfect bottle to go with everyone's food. LOL

Depends on who's paying, doesn't it? :D

Them: "I'll take the Chteau Lafite 1996"

You: "I'll take the Sutter Home white zin"

I get there early and wait in bar, research it invaluableand fun.Taste a couple whites and couple reds and sound like God when waitress shows up. it impresses the dates, too. If you take along a good red most bartender will take it as a tip and pour small tastes for you FREE then buy a glass of the stuff you like the best. I have been told I think out stuff why to much but .........it works

I'm with you on that one lol... I can't stomach the stuff. Now Crown and Gingerale on the other hand ;)

Now that we’re on the topic. I tried some Glenlivet single malt. Not too bad. Then I bought some Wild Turkey bourbon for mint juleps. I preferred the scotch.

Now that we’re on the topic. I tried some Glenlivet single malt. Not too bad. Then I bought some Wild Turkey bourbon for mint juleps. I preferred the scotch.

Wild Turkey (101 proof) and Fightin' Cock (103 proof) are both good for cleaning windshields... never found much other use for them... and while I'm bashing... Southern Confort makes for a good septic tank cleanser.

HB

Wild Turkey (101 proof) and Fightin' Cock (103 proof) are both good for cleaning windshields... never found much other use for them... and while I'm bashing... Southern Confort makes for a good septic tank cleanser.

HB

Southern Comfort... are you sure it's even good for cleaning the septic tank? That stuff is terrible. [shudder]

Is Glenlivet the first single malt scotch you've ever tried? If so, your in for a great time as you try others. There's nothing wrong with Glenlivet, but there are a ton of better ones waiting for you to try them. :D

Is Glenlivet the first single malt scotch you've ever tried? If so, your in for a great time as you try others. There's nothing wrong with Glenlivet, but there are a ton of better ones waiting for you to try them. :D

OK, maybe this should be another thread, but yes, Glenlivet was my first try at single malt scotch. So, I’ve been thinking about getting some more, and I’d surely welcome any suggestions. I’ve tried to lookup reviews, but of course they are highly subjective. I’ve read that Glemmorangi and Glenfiddich are good. What are your thoughts?

OK, maybe this should be another thread, but yes, Glenlivet was my first try at single malt scotch. So, I’ve been thinking about getting some more, and I’d surely welcome any suggestions. I’ve tried to lookup reviews, but of course they are highly subjective. I’ve read that Glemmorangi and Glenfiddich are good. What are your thoughts?

You're probably right about the new thread being a good idea, but since I'm here I guess I'm going to continue hi-jacking it. LOL

Glenfiddich is ok, but I'm not a big fan. It's very close to Glenlivet. I think Glenmorangie is a better scotch than either of them. That said, it is all relative and your tastes may be different than mine.

I highly suggest the Macallan 12 year (can usually be found for under $40/bottle). It's pretty much our house scotch. We tend to have 5 or 6 different scotches in our bar at any given time, but one of them them is always the Macallan 12 year. My wife likes the 18 year a bit better, but shies away from the price. I actually prefer the 12 year to the 18, so I win either way. ;)

I really liked the Glenmorangie Port wood finish as well, but they renamed it "Quinto Ruban" and doubled the price (it's around $60/bottle now... doh). I still like it and we still buy it from time to time, but it's hard for me to recommend a pricey bottle like that to someone who is just starting to enjoy scotch. Despite that, it's the other bottle I make sure to have in the bar.

The highland park 12 year has a rich flavor. I see I bought it for $30, but I'm betting that was a sale price somewhere. It's probably closer to a $40 bottle usually. I'd buy that again.

Give those a try if you run into them somewhere.

Latest posts

Back