Ordering WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'll keep that one in mind. I went to the liquor store last Xmas. I wanted to buy a SM scotch, but the $30+ for something I wasn’t sure I’d like made me a little nervous. My wife told me to go ahead and when we got to the counter, I saw some smaller bottles behind the counter. I bought the pint size for less. I’ll have to make another trip and see what is behind the counter.

Good idea. Trying different ones is half the fun for me. Like wines, different scotches can have vastly different flavors. And what one person may love, another may hate.

For me, I can't stand Laphroig. It's got a ton of peat in it. There are many who love it, but to me it tastes like someone fermented lawn clippings and distilled the result. If you really like that peaty/grassy flavor, though, that's the scotch for you.

One tip for trying single-malt scotches that you may or may not know. When you have a glass of scotch, try adding a splash of water. It doesn't take much (maybe a half-teaspoon even), but a little water will oftentimes release aromas. I don't remember the science behind it, but they tell you that when you go to scotch tastings. I've had scotches that seemed bland and flavorless wake up from adding a bit of water... and other times it made no difference. Either way, it's a fun experiment. :D

What a bunch of wine whimps

Real winemakers take a couple bottles of their aged wines to a restaurant when eating out with friends ... and pay the corkage fee for the waitress to open and pour for the table.

Come on ... we don't need no stinkin' commercial wine!

Pay the restaurant's corkage fees and bring your own.

By the by ... etiquette calls for you to offer the wine stewart or waitress a glass of your wine.

Make the world believers!

I don’t think Olive Garden will look to kindly on you bringing your own booze… You must be going to the “high falutin” places. Hehehe.:D

According to this article ... Olive Garden's "corkage fee" is $7 in Sacramento. YOUR local OG might charge more or less. Call and ask.

Interesting read about corkage fees

http://www.sacbee.com/161/story/1495274.html

Now, my local McDonald's doesn't charge a corkage fee if I bring a 24 oz water bottle of my homebrew wine in for dinner ... which, yes, is more my style.

Latest posts

Back