Ordered Grapes today.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
A local brew shop has been ordering in grapes annually. I finally decided to take the plunge and try them out. I had them put my name on the list for 100 lbs of Cabernet Sauvignon. At the price of $1.50 a lb. Not sure how they will turn out. Unfortunately the brew shop guy is... lets say a bit peculiar; nothing like George
smiley1.gif

Anywho, I am wondering how long I should plan on leaving the skins on the juice? The brew store will crush and destem them. The rest is up to me. I have the press and all the other equipment. He tells me to expect about 7 gallons from that yield.

As soon as I get them I will post some brix, ph, and acid levels.

Cheers,
Ryan

Not bad, $150 for 7 gallons, how much do they want to crush and destem? Is that 7 gallons yeild or to start with and probably end up with around 6? trying to get an idea as a local supplier does the same near me except I dont have a press but Christmas is right around the corner!
36_15_1.gif

wade,

That price include a crush and destem. They said 20 cents more lb if they pressed it...They said 100 lbs is two buckets full typically.

Yield depends on variety and if it is a red or a white. In your case with a red, if you ferment with the skins for about a week you will lilely get 7 to 8 gallons ofjuice/wine after pressing(since it has already fermented most of the way by then I would call it wine). Figure 12-14 pounds for a red, 15 for a white since you lose some by not fermenting with the skins. It just doesn't press as completely.

Good luck with them. You should have fun!

Would this forum be interested in a chart that shows grape varieties and estimated fruit production (some grapes are bigger or smaller than others)?

I have a chart that I could be willing to share and get converted to Word or Excel.

Does this forum have a way to upload a file?

I'm sure there are a few members that would like to see such a chart. Yes there is a way to upload a file. If you use the reply button, the middle button at the top of the window next to picture upload is for file upload. When you get ready to try it, if you can't figure it out, just ask and we can assist you.

Latest posts

Back