Order of sweetening/aging/adding sulphites?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donkeyface

Junior
Reaction score
I've got another sulphite question on my first winemaking attempt. I've got six gallons of red sitting in my secondary. (It started life as Paul Newman's Organic grape juice.) I started this a month ago. It's currently at 0.998, super clear, and has been racked twice (once from primary -> secondary on 4/26, then again on 5/14). It's stable at 0.998, no signs of fermentation, which is fine, but I want to do two things: backsweeten it and bulk age it.

From the awesome "The Home Winemaking Book", I'm going to take the potassium sorbate route. But I'm unclear on the order of things. Should I:

1) Sulphite now since I don't have that nice protective CO2 layer anymore
2) Bulk age it
3) Backsweeten it/add potassium sorbate/sulphite again
4) Bulk age it a few more weeks to make sure fermentation doesn't renew

-or-

1) Bulk age it
2) Backsweeten/add potassium sorbate/sulphite
3) Bulk age it a few more weeks to make sure fermentation doesn't renew

I guess I'm asking if I should sulphite now or not before the bulk aging. Thanks again for the advice, and to the mods: thanks for running such an awesome site. :r You are greatly appreciated.

Add sulfite and sorbate now and bulk age it with sulfite again at 3-4 month intervals meaning after about 3-4 months it will need more sulfite. You are correct to give it a week or more after sweetening to make siure fermentation doesnt start back up.

Thanks, y'all are awesome! I was wondering how often the sulfite needed renewing. I'll go this route then: sulfite and sorbate now, bulk age it w/ sulfite renewal every 3-4 months, sweeten it, wait a few weeks.

Do I have to renew the sorbate at all? If so, should I renew when I sweeten, renew every 3-4 months, or is doing it now as a one-shot sufficient?

Awesome, I'll remember that one - I'd hate to make a six gallon mistake of geranium-smelling wine!!

Awesome, I'll remember that one - I'd hate to make a six gallon mistake of geranium-smelling wine!!
You will only get that when you do MLF and then add Sorbate
Never add sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF

Back