RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin' Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
I plan on making an Orchard Breezin' kit in the near future for summertime consumption. My wife has expressed interest in the Watermelon White Merlot. First, can anyone give me a report on this kit, and second, as I am not a huge fan of watermelon, can you recommend a good substitute from the Orchard Breezin' line of kits.

Many thanks,
Greg

The raspberry White Zin used to be my favourite blush OB kit. Blackberry Merlot and Green Apple Gewurztraminer were favourite red & white.

I haven't tried most of the new flavours. (FYI, there are now 26 kits listed in the OB section of the RJS online catalog. In Sept 2007, there were 13 regular kits and 1 seasonal.) I would probably like Strawberry White Zin, Strawberry Riesling, and maybe Seville Orange Sangria.

Steve

Last edited:
Both of the strawberry kits you mentioned sounded good to me as well, but I am about to start 5 gal of strawberry using locally grown fruit. It's near the end of the season, but there are still plenty of berries left.

The Seville Orange Sangria does sound mighty tasty.

Thanks Steve.

I have made:
Banana/pineapple viognier
Sangria with Seville oranges
Black Cherry Pinot Noir
Peach Chardonnay

All had their ABV bumped up 2 to 4 %

All are very good served over ice.

Decide what type of fruit you both like and choose an OB that fits.
They are ready to drink within a month after clearing.

I will tell you I made the watermelon and gave it all away to someone else that did like it, I did not. I also made the strawberry and ended up blending that with some fresh rhubarb and that turned out good. To me, they both tasted like Jolly Ranchers candy. With that said I like most all of the other Orchard Breezins.

I wanted to try the watermelon one like you. I just looked at the RJS website and they did away with the watermelon! Looks like they are now following suit of WE and doing Mocktail kits (Mojito, Cosmo, Pina Colada) which are all very easy cocktails to make yourself and are far less work than making wine.
I made the Chianti and it turned out decent, not my favorite but decent. I think the whites and blushes turn out better than red wines for these kits because the wine flavor is a bit thin.
I may try the raspberry white zin, black currant white merlot, or do another green apple.
Has anyone done the black currant one??

Thanks for the replies.

Seems like I should steer clear of the watermelon, which was my inclination to begin with, but my bride is a watermelon lover. I think I will try to convince her to go with the green apple or peach, both of which have received favorable reports on this and other forums.

Thanks again,
Greg

Orchard breezin

I just completed the Pomegranate Wildberry Zinfandel and it came out really nice. This is the only Breezin kit I have tried but I might make more for a nice hot weather drink.

And The Winner Is.....

Peach Chardonnay

I plan on bumping the abv a little based everything I have found out about these kits.

Thanks again,
Greg

Robie,

Do you recall your process for increasing abv, i.e., did you use some of the flavor pack, add sugar, etc., etc.

Thanks

Do these kits need to be aged like regular grape wines? Or can they be drank sooner?

to increase the alcohol you can do one of two things.
1.) You can add part of the F-pac upfront with sugar to get the specific gravity to 1.085 (I think that's correct, search the forums to be certain). However beware, the F-pac contains sorbate and other preservatives which may slow fermentation start, but I don't think many people experience problems with this method. Another problem is that you have less sugar and flavor to add at the end.
2.) The other method is to create a simple syrup mixture (about equal parts sugar and water) and I think I use ~6 cups of sugar ( http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4743 ) . Add it with water to make it to the 6gallon mark and mix very well. Then add the F-pac according to the directions at stabilization.

I wound up using a little less than half the f-pack, and 6 cups of sugar (inverted), for a beginning SG of 1.086. It's perking away and all looks good.

Thanks for the replies.
Greg

I just ordered the OB Seville Orange Sangria one. Give it a try with the tweaks you guys mentioned.
Does the F-Pac make it too sweet if I just do sugar upfront and the fpac at the end? I don't want liquid orange jolly ranchers.

I made the Banana Pineapple Viognier and we thought it was excellent! I ordered another right away because this isn't going to last long. I think this is our new favorite in terms of a summer cooler type of wine. We went with 4 cups sugar and 1/3 of fpack at start, made starting SG 1.072. Couldn't be happier with the end result. Not too sweet, just a hint of pineapple/banana flavor.

I made the Banana Pineapple Viognier and we thought it was excellent! I ordered another right away because this isn't going to last long. I think this is our new favorite in terms of a summer cooler type of wine. We went with 4 cups sugar and 1/3 of fpack at start, made starting SG 1.072. Couldn't be happier with the end result. Not too sweet, just a hint of pineapple/banana flavor.

I made that white last year. For a white, I made the peach chardonnay this year. Equally good.

I just ordered the OB Seville Orange Sangria one. Give it a try with the tweaks you guys mentioned.
Does the F-Pac make it too sweet if I just do sugar upfront and the fpac at the end? I don't want liquid orange jolly ranchers.

I made this one last year, too. If I were you, I would not fiddle with the F pack the first time you make it. I always add more sugar, bt I don't mess with changing the F pack usage. I have not been disappointed.

Last edited:
I made this one last year, too. If I were you, I would not fiddle with the F pack the first time you make it. I always add more sugar, bt I don't mess with changing the F pack usage. I have not been disappointed.

Thanks. I will just bump it up with sugar and then use the full f-pac as prescribed.

Latest posts

Back