RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin Sangria W/Seville Orange

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhineMaker

Addicted Member
Reaction score
Started this kit tonight.. Added 7 cups sugar (made into simple syrup) which upped my SG to 1.084.. Did not add any of the f-pack up front because I am looking for a sweet summer wine. Has anyone done this one?? I've heard good things about it from my LHBS. My wife loves sangria so I'm hoping this one fits the bill..

Last edited:
Just ordered this kit 5 minutes ago. I plan on bumping the ABV, also.
Will try for 10% ABV

Sounds like a good target! I would guess you would need about 4 cups of sugar to get that ABV.. Let me know how it turns out for you..

Yep, not sure just how much to add, so I'll add sugar, then check SG; repeat as necessary. These mist kits can take on more alcohol than they normally will without bumping. Maybe need to post a warning sign, though!!! :)
I'll let you know how mine goes, but I won't start it until about April 1st...
Also, I heard that this kit is not as sweet as you might think. Heard the same about the banana pineaple viognier. Trial and error, trial and error.

Finished at 0.994. Degassed added f-pack and clarifers. Degassing was alot easier this time, used the brake bleeder. What a difference! Get to do it all over again tomorrow night with the muscato.. Good times!!

:sm

Bottled friday night, and this one is a winner! Especially with the spring type weather we are having! Took a SG reading right before bottling and it is 1.020, so this is definately a sweeter one. Poured a couple glasses over ice, orange slices, lime slices and cherries.. mmmmmmmmmmm

I added about the same amount of sugar and got about the same starting SG. Mine is on day 7 of fermentation. I am glad you like how it's turning out.

Fermentation smells great on this one!!!

Added sugar and initial SpGr

Robie:
I'll forget to ask you in person: do you recall how much sugar you added to the initial must and the SpGr after adding the sugar? Thinking about adding sugar to the Zinfandel Blush kit that's next in line to start, so that info might be helpful. Nancy & Bob

Robie:
I'll forget to ask you in person: do you recall how much sugar you added to the initial must and the SpGr after adding the sugar? Thinking about adding sugar to the Zinfandel Blush kit that's next in line to start, so that info might be helpful. Nancy & Bob

The SG after adding about 4 pounds of sugar was 1.086. The final ABV was 11.8%.

Sorry I don't know exactly how much sugar I added. I poured in all the sugar I had at the time. - :slp

Maybe someone on the forum has a good formula for how much sugar to add to 1 gallon of must to raise the alcohol 1% ABV. I know I have seen it before.

Here is a web site that can help you determine how much sugar to add to get a specified ABV, even though it is not very easy to follow:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpesgens/thwp/sugar.html

I just added a pound of sugar at a time until I got an acceptable SG. Be careful to not end up with more than 23 liters total of must. I wouldn't want the ending ABV to be more than about 12%, but that is just my opinion.

Another example of raising the BRIX level:
"This is done with table sugar: 1.5 oz. of
table sugar per US gallon of projected liquid raises the ºBrix by 1°. Measure the amount of
sugar needed and completely dissolve it into a small quantity of warm water The warm
water ensures that the sugar will dissolve completely into the wine. This small amount of
water will not be enough to dilute the wine. Alternatively, you can dissolve the sugar
directly into the liquid from the must, but depending on how much you are adding, this
may be difficult. Mix thoroughly into the must so that the sugar (which is heavier than
must) doesn't wind up sitting on the bottom of the fermentation vessel."

Good luck!

Oops! Concerning limiting the alcohol to 12%, I thought the kit you are starting is a mist or Orchard Breesin kit, not a full wine kit. I have no idea what would be a good ABV limit for a full wine kit like a blush Zin.

Any suggestions or experiences from others on the forum?

Latest posts

Back