Other Orchard Breeze or Island Mist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
Hello All!
I would like to make a couple of fruit wines (kits at this point) for summer sipping. I like my wine more dry, rather than sweet, but also like the occasional sangria, a little sweet.
Which of these two brands would you recommend, and how can I keep it from being too sweet, yet still have a pleasant fruit flavor?
Thank you!

Hey Elizabeth,

I did the Island Mist Raspberry Peach kit and added the 1 lb of corn sugar and 1L of grape concentrate (see Labelpeelers site) last Spring. I think we have two bottles left, so I'd say it went over pretty well. I kept it from being too sweet by adding 1/2 the f-pack when fermenting, then the other 1/2 after stabilizing (kmeta and sorbate). Hope that helps.

I did the Island Mist sangria kit as well and added 1/2 the f-pack up front with 3 or 4 (I'd have to check my notes) lbs of sugar via simple syrup. It was ready to drink pretty much right away and it was all gone within a couple months. We served it at a party with frozen raspberries and cut up peaches and got lots of compliments.

I always add 4 lbs of sugar. The reason I add 4 lbs is because that is whats in the bag. More sugar ( alcohol ) will give the perception of less sweet.

Back