Orange Wine 1837

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignoble Grape

Reaction score
screen-shot-2017-12-03-at-6-23-08-am.png

Found this recipe in an old cookbook - purports to come out something like a sherry.

Making a 1 gallon batch:

Added the orange and re-hydrated/macerated raisins in the fermenting bag. Added 1/2 tsp. tannin. Used Montrachet yeast. Initial specific gravity reading: 1.08. Sitting near a heater vent very happily - Smells wonderful!

20171214_113600-e1513345556567.jpg

Will post updates as it moves along...

Ignoble Grape,

Your starting specific gravity is good, the tannin addition is a good idea, and the fact that it is bubbling away is extremely promising. Sounds like a good beginning to a cottage wine.

Living in Miami, I have good access to oranges but never thought of making wine from them. I'll be following this thread with interest.

Welcome to the forum and keep us updated with your progress.

Okay, so racked this one time a few months back and am looking at maybe bottling time. One of the things I noticed when I racked was a thin layer of oily substance (?) Almost looks like the little globules of fat when you fry up hamburger. I thought racking it would get rid of it, but it's still there.

Wonder if it's something leftover from a coating put on the raisins?

Haven't opened it up yet. Very hazy, will need to clarify. More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_123553.jpg
    IMG_20180610_123553.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
I have copied the attached from Wikipedia...” Orange oil is an essential oil produced by cells within the rind of an orange fruit (Citrus sinensis fruit). In contrast to most essential oils, it is extracted as a by-product of orange juice production by centrifugation, producing a cold-pressed oil.[1] It is composed of mostly (greater than 90%) d-limonene,[2] and is often used in place of pure d-limonene. D-limonene can be extracted from the oil by distillation.“

It might not be too late to add some pectinase. Also the photo you attached - looks like you might have a little malo-lacto fermentation going on.

I have copied the attached from Wikipedia...” Orange oil is an essential oil produced by cells within the rind of an orange fruit (Citrus sinensis fruit). In contrast to most essential oils, it is extracted as a by-product of orange juice production by centrifugation, producing a cold-pressed oil.[1] It is composed of mostly (greater than 90%) d-limonene,[2] and is often used in place of pure d-limonene. D-limonene can be extracted from the oil by distillation.“

It might not be too late to add some pectinase. Also the photo you attached - looks like you might have a little malo-lacto fermentation going on.

Hmm... thanks - orange oil might very well be what it is. Is there a way to know if malolactic fermentation is happening? Would I want to wait for that to finish before adding pectinase? Honestly, I'm not too concerned with how it looks, just if it's drinkable. I haven't broken the seal yet. When I racked it, it was pretty good - but that was several months back and I've several tipples in between and no tasting notes...

Okay - was checking on the wines yesterday. Merlot is coming along nicely. Apple still has months to go and then I racked the orange wine - Whoa baby! Is it nice!

Smells like honey and orange blossoms. Tastes exactly like a sherry with an incredible finish of toasted almonds that lingers forever. Bar-none, one of the best little wines I've ever made. It is very drinkable as-is, but I'll continue to be patient. Gift quality for the holidays. Time to dust off those 375 mL bottles.

My equipment set up doesn't include a filter - yet - but I did rack through a fine mesh strainer to get all of the little globules of whatever out of the wine. It worked. Still couldn't tell what they were - dissolved when touched, no distinct smell, and looked dark grey when pooled together. Huh.

Now I need to find out where I can buy raisins in bulk. I want to try a large batch.IMG_20180616_152204.jpg IMG_20180616_150937.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back