RJ Spagnols Orange Chocolate Port Noob

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am brand new to kits... I am so addicted to this new hobby however that I can't wait unitl Fall for more juice. The guy at the LWS talked me into trying a kit. Sooooo here I am.

Anyways I have the Orange Choc which I have read about extensively on here. My question is this:

It says it makes 30 bottles. Which is about 6 gallons of juice. However there is no way there are 6 gallons in that box.... the instructions don't say anything (or maybe I missed it, I have had two beers tonight) about adding water or anything.....

I would rather not mess this up.... Lil help?

It is a 3 gallon kit and makes 30 375 ml bottles. You would not want to bottle this in normal wine bottles as its very sweet and drinkingthat much in a few days is a little extreme unless there are a few of you. You do NOT add water to this kit it is all juice.

Wade, are u sure no water?? all my kits required me to add water to fill up the bucket to the 5 or 6 gallon mark (kit depending) ...all my kits had a juice concentraite in them...and they all called for30 bottles that were 750 ml bottles...not saying u cant use 375 but just thats what they called for....and when they said 30 they were not factoring the loss of liquid to less so i always get 26-28 bottles.......

Im sure, Ive made almost all of these kits. The one he is referring to is a dessert wine which is the RJS Cru Select. I made a dble batch of this. It starts off with a very high gravity and finishes off pretty low and then is sweetened with a good size f-pack.

No Wade is right.... I checked the instructions again and it indicates 30 375 ml bottles.... which begs the next questions.... where the heck am I gonna get 30 375 ml bottles... heck I must have a 150 - 200 750 ml bottles... anyone want to trade?

Seriously can I bottle in 750 ml... will port go bad in a week - 10 days if opened?

It will not go bad but like said these ports are very sweet so you dont drink it like a glass of normal wine. Check what the finished sg will be after adding the f-pac. I beleve it will be around 1.040 or there abouts as an indication. Its really a sipping wine after dessert.

awsome!! i havnt done any of these kits yet .. sounds great tho so i may have to try one!

Do you like very sweet wines. I have the Peach Ice wine, White Chocolate Port, Orange Chocolate Port and used to have the Raspberry Choclate port which i thought was the best out of the chocolate kits but also the hadest to ferment as its a problem child as in it doesnt like to always finish fermenting without lots of help but definetly the best IMO. If you like Sherry both RJS and Winexpert make a very ood kit for this. I have the W.E. Sherry which they offer you two ways to make this, one is a cream Sherry and the other a plain, I made it to the Cream Sherry and dit is awesome! Winexpert has also cam out with Blackberry port this year. Cellar Craft offers a Black currant Port which I havent tried and would imagine its very good. I also have a Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port whic is a traditional Port and IMO the best traditional and very close to a top Port out there.

Okay I am going to get this thing going tomorrow night.

1.) Assuming I can start it in a 5 gallon food grade pail like I do with juice

2.) Do I need to make a yeast starter? It seems like I should but it says to sprinkle on top?

5 gallon bucket will be fine and though a starter is always the better way the sprinkle will work fine. I always start any wine with a temp of around 78* as the yeast love that and get going quicker. Cooler can make it take a long time to start.

Thanks Wade,

I always make a starter but this is my first kit so I wasn't sure. BTW I will be down your way, well a little closer than MA, next week. I always spend some time in Mystic to kick off summer. Any good wine making spots I should hit?

This is one of my favorite kits that I have made. It's perfect to serve around the holidays and even in the summer put a little on top of your vanilla ice cream!
I'm going to be in Mystic next weekend also!! We are going to play the Million Dollar Bingo Saturday at Foxwoods and after we win (!!) we are going to check out Mystic.

Hi Wine-O,

I wish you luck. If you win you will have to buy me a drink in Mystic. Another question or two if you will:

1.) The instructions say to measure SG but nothing else. I normally Measure TA, PH and SO2. Do I not have to do this with a kit?

2.) I guess that was one question with a lot of parts

The SG is all you really need to keep track of your progress. All of the other elements have been taking care of before they package it. I put mine in Bellissima Bottles (375ml) when I'm done and it really looks great in them. They are a little more costly but I love a great looking finished product when I give them to friends and customers. Best of luck...
Dave

One thing I would mention. After filtering your port and before bottling, add a mickey of brandy to fortify it. It makes for a nice warm taste. ::
Cheers,
Rob
PS I think in The States you would say a fifth of brandy. Buy the cheapest for this purpose.

Hi Rob,

I thought the fortifying brandy was in the finishing blend? I have no problem adding a mickey, (which I will now always use when speaking of a fifth because it sounds way cooler than fifh) I thought that was included in the finishing blend though.

Hi Rob,

I thought the fortifying brandy was in the finishing blend? I have no problem adding a mickey, (which I will now always use when speaking of a fifth because it sounds way cooler than fifh) I thought that was included in the finishing blend though.

The finishing blend adds flavours and sweeteners, but not further alcohol. It depends what you would like, I guess.

Steve

Latest posts

Back