Orange Blossom Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainecr

Reaction score
Just bottled my second mead...at 7 months. My Mom supplied Florida orange blossom honey for three gallons. Back sweetened a bit...and it's yummy already. I can wait until it's been in a bottle for a few months.
How do I post a picture?

Don't drink it all in a few months. Just last night I cracked open a bottle of mead I made 11 years ago, and it was exquisite.

My first wine was an orange blossom mead. Bottled it at about 6 months, and like you I thought it was good young. Making myself wait at least another year to try it again, though.

The local apiarist gets his from a field that has a heavy percentage of tangerines. It's a little darker than other orange blossoms (so he says) and tastes a little different, too. Do you mind me asking where you got it and how much you paid per lb?

Main, after you type your post, before submitting, scroll down a bit and you'll see manage attachments. U[load your picture, and hit the submit button.

Someone in here a while back was talking about making wine from the blossom petals themselves. Never heard back from them, but I'll bet it was good to, provided they used enough petals.

My snowbird (Clearwater, FL) parents picked it up at a flea market and shipped it to Maine with my Aunt who still drives north in the spring. I believe it was $20 for 3 pounds....can't remember how much it weighed....although it made 3 gallons with the starting SG of 1.85.

We sipped the tailings Sunday before dinner. It was good...

We usually wait the "golden year" before opening the first bottle of a batch. Really looking forward popping the first bottle. Mu Mom opened a bottle of 15 yo mead awhile back. It was sooooo good.

Maine I recieved a catalog from www.northernbrewer.com yesterday, they offer quite a few honeys, they have an orange blossom honey, 3#/$11.99. Take a look at their web site.
Later
Troy

Here's a picture...
Heading to FL in Feb....will be bring back some more honey...

OBM.JPG

Real nice! Good job. Whats next on the list of fermenting projects?

Cleaning out the freezer. 4 gallons of concord grapes and one gallon of chokecherry (pitched the yeast tonight) 15 pounds of elderberries in the freezer. Then blueberry (see recipe section) I just racked 6 gallons of a sweet/tart crabapple saturday. Canned pineapple, canned peach (free cans) and a mixed jam.
What have you got planned?

got the skeeter pee on line. My LHBS didnt have any nutrient so I put that on hold till tomorrow. When that gets racked to the secondary, gonna go for the canned pumpkin, and when that comes off I am going for the elderberry.

I think it was Wade who has messed around with the chokecherry. Just because it is bitter, as eldrberries doesn't make it unqualified to make wine from. Ifin I could ever find a way to ferment cat hair or mosquitoes, I may have something new to talk about!!!! LOL

Troy

Last edited:
Looks great, I have a Orange blosson Cyser that is crystal clear in bulk aging right now. I will be making a plain like you and Mud though. I also have Golden Rod honey just waiting here from Mud to be fermented and I believe Im going with another Blueberry Melomel with that!

I can match $4 per lb. Might be able to beat it, too. Why do I keep forgetting to double check pricing? :d

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back