Orange blossom mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastalEmpireWine

Reaction score
The other day I made an orange blossom mead. I only made one gallon. I used a little less than 4 pounds of honey. It smells amazing! 45 minutes after adding the yeast it was bubbling away. It is still going strong.

image-1850883838.jpg

The other day I made an orange blossom mead. I only made one gallon. I used a little less than 4 pounds of honey. It smells amazing! 45 minutes after adding the yeast it was bubbling away. It is still going strong.

I have never made a Mead but I have 3 gallons of Orange Blossom Honey that I bought in Florida last winter. I have been planning on turning it into Mead but have been afraid to start. How did you do it? What yeast? Nutrients?

I have never made a Mead but I have 3 gallons of Orange Blossom Honey that I bought in Florida last winter. I have been planning on turning it into Mead but have been afraid to start. How did you do it? What yeast? Nutrients?

Dissolve the honey in about 1/2 gallon of warm water, let it cool to room temp & measure the SG.

Adjust the SG down, using more, room-temp water, until the SG is where you want it.

Honey is rather devoid of yeast nutrients so you'll need to provide some

Yeast is kind of up to you, but one of my favorites for mead is D-47

Dissolve the honey in about 1/2 gallon of warm water, let it cool to room temp & measure the SG.

Adjust the SG down, using more, room-temp water, until the SG is where you want it.

Honey is rather devoid of yeast nutrients so you'll need to provide some

Yeast is kind of up to you, but one of my favorites for mead is D-47

How much honey do I dissolve in 1/2 gallon warm water? I have 3 one gallon jugs. I appreciate your response.

How much do you want to make?

3lbs of honey = ~ 1 quart volume

When 3lbs is dissolved into 1 gallon of water, it usually makes an SG of 1.100 - 1.110

5 gallon batch would be ~5 quarts (1 gallon + 1 quart) + extra water (bringing the SG down to 1.085-1.090, and giving some excess for topping off, to still end with 5 gallons)

A better all round yeast to use would be K1-V1116.

Higher alcohol tolerance......

Wider temperature range......

Reputation for being good for meads......

Killer strain i.e. very competitive/dominant......

I just used K1-1116 on a apple/pear honey.I'm liking the way it's working.

How much do you want to make?

3lbs of honey = ~ 1 quart volume

When 3lbs is dissolved into 1 gallon of water, it usually makes an SG of 1.100 - 1.110

5 gallon batch would be ~5 quarts (1 gallon + 1 quart) + extra water (bringing the SG down to 1.085-1.090, and giving some excess for topping off, to still end with 5 gallons)
Thanks, That is exactly the information I was looking for!

I ran OBM in 2009. It took 2 years to mature. I still have a few left. It's really good!

Pick up the compleat mead maker (that's right compleat) i picked it up and it has everything ya need to know, with recipes. I just did a local honey mead and a red raspberry melomel, so far so good. I'm really looking forward to these wines. But word on the street is that it takes waaaay more bottle aging than your average wine does, before it even starts to taste good. I'm glad i have a full wine rack and i'm not waiting and tapping my foot for these meads to mature! i pan to make more, i think

Back