Opus One Sues Supplier Alleging Barrels Were Contaminated with TCA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the same thing. How would you get TCA in a brand new barrel? Would seem the highest probability would be TCA in a contaminated winery got transferred into freshly fermented wine and then showed up six months down the road in the new barrel.

TCA purportedly comes from tainted cork, made from the bark of specific oak trees. If it weren’t possible for it to also be in the wood of a barrel, then why would barrels be certified as being TCA free?

I ain't no legal scholar, but it seems weird to me that the damages sought are related to the price of the wine you choose to put into them. If Johnd's wine was ruined, why shouldn't he be entitled to the same recompense?

It could have come from the winery. Stinky drain, maybe someone pours some chlorine down there, barrels sitting nearby. You just need chlorine and mold, and there is going to be mold to some degree.

I ain't no legal scholar, but it seems weird to me that the damages sought are related to the price of the wine you choose to put into them. If Johnd's wine was ruined, why shouldn't he be entitled to the same recompense?

Because johnD doesn’t have a contract to sell his wine at $140 a bottle wholesale!
Either way I think there’s a good reason there’s no real official statement from AF barrels. Because they don’t need to “sell it” to media- having a solid defense.
Paul if you were on the legal counsel for AF cooperage I’m confident you could “lawyer the shit out of it” and not only win, but also be awarded a hefty sum for punitive damages in your counter suit.

So wonder how does Opus One show beyond the shadow of a doubt that the barrels were the source of the taint and not taint from somewhere else inside the winery.....

Seems Opus one would need an incredible chain of custody showing TCA testing of the wine prior to being placed into those barrels.

So wonder how does Opus One show beyond the shadow of a doubt that the barrels were the source of the taint and not taint from somewhere else inside the winery.....

Seems Opus one would need an incredible chain of custody showing TCA testing of the wine prior to being placed into those barrels.

costanza-answering-machine.gif

Latest posts

Back