Optimal distance between vines in Maryland?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyfj

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m planning my little vineyard here in central Maryland (Carroll county). What would be a good distance between vines for a beginner?
I’m seeing long distances like 10’ on you tube but local growers seem to use 4-6’ between vines. Thanks in advance.

nominal distance is 8 feet which would give you a four foot cordon in each direction. lesser distance increase density per acre a driving force for commercial vinyeards. nutrition and disease abatement are definitely higher for smaller spacing

It depends on the varieties. Vinifera are recommended at 4 feet; hybrids 6 to 8 feet. Double A Vineyards has good information in their descriptions concerning recommendations for spacing, trellis, disease susceptibility, hardiness, bud break, and harvest dates. Vinifera has more upright habit and not as sprawling as hybrids hence the closer spacing.

The first year I may only plant 150 ish vines but as I plant out the whole 2.5 acres I want as many vines as I can fit and be healthy.

I have not done a soil test yet. I need to do some research and find a place to get it done. But the soil is a bit acidic kinda like clay with shale in it. The field has been used for hay the past many? Years.

I put vines in at eight foot spacing and wish I had done ten or twelve foot. It would have been easier to manage.
* some varieties as Frontenac and concord are “vigorous “ it will take periodic summer trimming to keep them in control
* what size mower do you run? It bugs me to do up the row and then down leaving eight inches uncut
* how many thousand pounds of grapes do you want to deal with? Plant higher density if you want to optimize pounds yield. A correlation to this is what kind of press, tanks, filters, shed, do you own or plan to own? You have a tractor and sprayer and equipment building?
* 2.5 acres eventual is as big as some European vineyards. Do you want to eventually get a license? Is the plan to sell to a regional winery? ,, the big winery close to me said half an acre was big enough that they would buy my crop and small enough that a single individual could manage it.
* what is your topography? hills slope south? other as ponds? access roads to property and lanes to get equipment to the vines?

This sounds like a fun project :fsh , , which I might have tried if twenty years younger when I retired.

I put vines in at eight foot spacing and wish I had done ten or twelve foot. It would have been easier to manage.
* some varieties as Frontenac and concord are “vigorous “ it will take periodic summer trimming to keep them in control
* what size mower do you run? It bugs me to do up the row and then down leaving eight inches uncut
* how many thousand pounds of grapes do you want to deal with? Plant higher density if you want to optimize pounds yield. A correlation to this is what kind of press, tanks, filters, shed, do you own or plan to own? You have a tractor and sprayer and equipment building?
* 2.5 acres eventual is as big as some European vineyards. Do you want to eventually get a license? Is the plan to sell to a regional winery? ,, the big winery close to me said half an acre was big enough that they would buy my crop and small enough that a single individual could manage it.
* what is your topography? hills slope south? other as ponds? access roads to property and lanes to get equipment to the vines?

This sounds like a fun project :fsh , , which I might have tried if twenty years younger when I retired.

I’ve got a sub-compact Kaboda with a 60” belly mower. So maybe two passes should cut all the grass between rows.

I haven’t figured out what wine making equipment I will need. I’m still learning about the whole process.

couple areal shots of my place in this thread. Looking to learn
I have more land that is currently wooded that I could clear if 2.5 acres one day isn’t enough.

My lady and I like the idea of selling our wines locally or even here on site
I have a pole barn that we want to clean up and maybe one day could be a nice tasting room.

I have found the thread “Our First Wine Show” has a lot of insight on selling wine and going commercial. There are several other threads which talk about some of the fun commercial folks experience. ,,,,,, it is a big jump
My lady and I like the idea of selling our wines locally or even here on site
I have a pole barn that we want to clean up and maybe one day could be a nice tasting room.

Rice Guy: Those hurdles and issues are the reason I give this answer (with a smile) when asked if we are opening a winery: “Let’s see if we can grow grapes and make good wine.” Baby steps research, study, research more.

Dusty: Unless you buy grapes or kits, you won’t need winemaking equipment for 4 or 5 years. Though if you have never made wine, you should start to learn the basics.

You have some vineyards only a short distance away. I think I've been to all of them. It doesn't hurt to network a little and see what they have. Most viticulturist like showing their vines, so make notes. The Eastern Shore area would make a nice day trip with a few stops at some of the vineyards there.

Latest posts

Back