WineXpert Opps!!! <<Island Mist>> Plz Help..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdriver

Reaction score
I made a Exotic Fruit and it's bottling time!!!:sm

I rack back into the primary glass carboy to get it off the settlements and I had the auto siphon tube about 3/4 inch from the settlements..

It was about time to lower the siphon tube to get the rest of the wine and before I got to it, the siphon tube fell into the settlements:(

It was enough to cloud it up so I racked it back into the 2ndary and put the airlock on..

Questions:

Will the settlements fall to the bottom of carboy..?

Will my wine clear on it's own or will I need a clearing agent..?

Yes.

Yes. No.

Give it some time, it should clear up nicely.

Did you have the anti-sediment tip on the auto-siphon tube? If so, sounds like there was a lot of sediment. I haven't made an Island Mist since about 2001, but I don't think that their competitors (Orchard Breezin' and Niagara Mist) would have that much sediment.

Steve

Yes, I had the anti tip thing on.. Im on my 5th wine kit and never had a problem racking the way I do but the next time I'll have to lower it carefully on top of the sediments..

Id say there's about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of sediments at the bottom when it's time to bottle..

Yes, I had the anti tip thing on.. Im on my 5th wine kit and never had a problem racking the way I do but the next time I'll have to lower it carefully on top of the sediments..

Id say there's about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of sediments at the bottom when it's time to bottle..

Just A tip I learned from Wade is to keep your carboys tipped so the lees collect mostly on one side and then siphon from the other side. As your wine gets to the bottom tip your carboy the opposite direction and you should be able to rack all of your wine with out getting into the lees.

Dec122009.jpg

I was just going to state that when I scrolled down and saw you did it for me. By doing this you can drop the racking cane right down to the bottom with no worries and get all the wine out no problemo!

Thx Guys..

I will have to try that the next time I top off..

I have a batch that'll be ready next week so I hope it'll be clear to bottle then..

Thx agian...

The wine will clear on it's own given enough time.
It it were mine I would put in in a colder temp say 45 degrees and watch it for a few days to see what happens.
If nothing else is wrong, it will clear.
If you are in a hurry then I would recommend using the cold temp and Super Kleer.

Most fining agents dont work good in cooler temps. cooler temps do work well without a fining agent.

Hello again..

I added Super-Kleer, waited about 2 1/2 weeks @ 68° and it cleared great.!!

I bought a $2 racking cane holder for the carboyz so I won't have this problem again..

It's attaches to the racking cane then you lower the cane where you want it inside the carboy and push down on the cane holder at the top to wedge in..

It works great.. I can post a photo if you'd like me to, showing it installed..

We always like pics. I dont have 1 but I know what they look like but others might like to see what they may need!

I was so glad when I checked out my box of goodies I bought from the guy before Xmas that there was 1 in there ,hubby asked why I was so glad to get that little thing lol .I had it on my wish list . Since I have a boxer and 2 teenage boys in the house I don't leave by carboys tilted all the time ,my nerves couldn't handle thinking my work might get knocked over .But what I did last time I did my wine & alcohol base Hubby was going to play hockey so he brought them out to the table for me I tilted them while I cleaned my equipment and set things up probably 1 1/2 hour or more before I got to the wine and it had settled nicely to one side . I ran it through a filter so it didn't matter as much if it wasn't settled totally . I plan on doing that before eaching from now on I figure even a couple of hours will make it easier to do.

Here's the pics. of that Cane holder Installed on top of Carboy and pics. of the Racking Cane sitting about 1 to 2 inches from the bottom..

You should beable to double click the image to enlarge them..

That's different then the one I have mine is similar to this one
http://www.clickabrew.com/images/equipment/RackingTubeHolder.jpg

Sorry, I feel like an @ss, cause I bought something that I over looked and over thought of, took pics., posted them and after racking a wine into a secondary a little bit ago, I seen how stupid I sounded thinking I new what I was talking about..

My dumb A@# had posted the pics. backwards..lol..!!!.. You can't rack the way I pictured it..

Sorry Everyone I feel stupid for that... But Thanks for the advice NSwiner.!!

Please don't feel stupid. I'm a complete newbie, so even seeing the mistakes is all good information for me. Thanks for sharing your issue and how you solved it, and thanks for taking the time to post pictures. It's much appreciated. I wish my wine bench looked like those pictures. I guess I'll have to keep working on it......

Please don't feel stupid. I'm a complete newbie, so even seeing the mistakes is all good information for me. Thanks for sharing your issue and how you solved it, and thanks for taking the time to post pictures. It's much appreciated. I wish my wine bench looked like those pictures. I guess I'll have to keep working on it......

Thx, jdeere...

I tilted my carboy after I topped off like shown above and that worked out much better..

I thank everybody for your help..!!!

Latest posts

Back