Opinions Wanted: Best Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinoAlex

Junior
Reaction score
I'm curious. What is the best red kit and best white kit that you have made to date in your opinion?

Red: RJ Spagnols Winery Series/En Primeur Super Tuscan or WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

White: Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc

I predict you will have low response, because there was a very recent thread with the same subject. I tried to find it for you, but I struck out!

For me, best red was CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot.
Best white: WE Luna Bianca (or maybe WE Eclipse Pinot Gris)

I asked this same question back in June.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57055

It all really depends on a few variables:
1. What do YOU like?
2. How long do you want to age it?
3. What price range are you looking at?

For reds the answers to my question ranged from Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot to Meza Luna Red to RJ Spagnols Winery Series Super Tuscan to a tweaked Fontana Malbec to WinExpert Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir to Showcase Merlot. Just FYI, there was a free kit giveaway a while back and it looked like 50% requested the Stag's Leap Merlot kit. Tells me something right there ...

Whites mentioned were Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay and the Green Apple Riesling, WE white cranberry Pinot Gris, Winexpert California Mascato (if you like store bought sweet mascato this is a good kit), WE Luna Bianca, and Winexpert Eclipse Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay.

Hope this helps!

Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot is a great kit and I have made it several times, but my taste buds seem to like Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir a little better. :r

Back