Opinions on Vented Carboy Hoods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

She’sgonnakillme

Reaction score
Looking at moving to vented bungs and the new Carboy Vented Hoods caught my attention. Anyone try these? Would love your opinions

I've been using vented bungs for a while, and love 'em. Saves having to check airlocks during bulk aging.

I tried orange hoods many moons ago, but was not confident they were sealing properly.

Where do you get them? What happens when the carboy experiences negative pressure?
My LHBS sells 'em, although they are not listed on his site. A site that lists the one I use is here, but I've not done business with them.

Nothing happens if there is negative pressure. The bung may be harder to get out, but certainly not as hard as a barrel bung after 6 weeks.

I have a number of those that I currently use, just wondering about this new style hood as it stated to be a better option

I’ve been using that style for 9 years. I like them for those carboys where the regular style bung isn’t a real tight fit; not all bung holes are the same. You can see some in use in the background during a barrel racking.
8E902BDA-1F6E-4DE3-900E-97E2EFDEF44E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back