WineXpert Opinion on Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty Knapp

Reaction score
Trying to pick my next red for early this fall.
I'm leaning toward the "Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot (Grape Skins)".
Was very happy with the Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz and the RJS Super Tuscan. Now looking for another varietal.
Has anyone tried this one? Or a Merlot by another brand?

I think I did that one a few years ago. I have to say I have yet to find an Eclipse kit that I didn't enjoy the results of.

I’ve made the Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot several times, but all the Eclipse kits are great!

I have made Stag's Leap Merlot in the past as well as Cellarcraft Showcase Merlot. In a taste test of two year old Merlots, the Cellarcraft was viewed as superior by an admittedly unprofessional but exuberant group of imbibers. Both very good, but given that result, the Cellarcraft is my Merlot of choice now and it is made 2-3 times per year.

Just as a point of reference, the reverse was found for Cabs where the Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 was preferred.

Here, we only make wines from kits with skins and they are always aged two plus years before drinking.

But wines can be a personal thing and as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Regards ... Doug

Doug Matheson
Manotick ON

Gewurztraminer is one of our favorites. I've made the RJS Cru Select twice, have the second batch of RJS Cru Select Riesling-Traminer bulk aging (both 16L kits) and just bottled the WE Eclipse Mosel Gewurztraminer. All 3 are really nice kits. The Cru Select kits drink well early. The Eclipse has a ton of potential, but I think it needs a little time in the bottle.

Sounds like my next red then. Thanks everyone.

Now to pick a white. Thinking possibly a Gewürztraminer,

The Eclipse G-miner is my favorite white wine kit. I took two cases to my sons wedding last year in the Finger Lakes area of New York. Everyone loved it, and most of them were used to the locally produced G-miner.. I prefer the taste of it immediately after bottling when it still has a strong sense of fruitiness, my wife prefers it at two years when she thinks the lychee flavor peaks. All I know is that in the summer, it is both of ours cold white wine drink of choice.

I don't know why I haven't done the Stag's Leap yet. I've done the French Merlot from Winexpert and the Limited Edition Hawke's Bay New Zealand Merlot. The French was my first effort and I wasn't impressed...this, of course, may be my fault. Jury is out on the Hawkes Bay as it is only at 4 months (and had no skins). Not expecting the wow factor, just looking to replace the French I've drunk down with maybe a bit of a fruit forward upgrade.

As for the WE Mosel Valley Gerwurztraminer - not a big white fan, but I do make them to give them away to the ladies and drink some during the summer.. I won a silver medal in this year's Wine Maker's Magazine Int'l contest with the Gerwurztraminer. That bottle I sent to the judges in March had had the yeast dropped in late May '17. That was a 8 or 9 month old bottle that won that medal and I pretty much played it by the book (instructions). That is a good kit and I intend on making it again.

This was my 2nd kit and first time doing extended maceration of 6 weeks. It’s now a year since pitching the yeast. I’m enjoying this kit much more than the eclipse Lodi cab which appears to need more time (currently at 15 months). The aromas and body are much more pronounced.

I've been making the Stag's Leap Merlot once a year since it was part of the "Selection Estate Series", before grapeskin packs were available. Was and continues to be one of my very favorites. "Chalk full of plums"

Latest posts

Back