Operation Massa Family Red - Muscat-Alicante-Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on putting some anchors in the garage concrete to secure it that way. I noticed in one of your basement pics you have the same demijohn I have the blue/ grey wicker basket is that one with a spigot? I just picked up a used one and I have no idea if I can be taken out of the basket it has a white plastic tube underneath curious if you knew anything about it. Also do you use the spigot on there I was thinking of maybe adding a small piece of clear tubing to it.

Anchor bolts work! Castors or not, and even with the ratchet system I still can rock the whole damn unit when cranking too hard. So I just don’t press hard. I’m cool with some loss. I’d just like to make it mobile for next year.
I have 2 demis with the spigots. One is broke and not an easy replacement. And I really don’t use it since I got a vacuum pump. For samples occasionally. But normally I forget it’s even there.
In the past we would put tubing on with a “bottling wand” and bottle that way. I probably should utilize it more. Not a bad thing to have. Flip side is they don’t come out the basket. Kind of a pain.

I also thought it would be darker due to the Alicante, but, I just calculated that (by starting weight) it was 45% Muscat. That may be enough to explain it.

Ive seen it debated as to whether filtering strips color on reds. But for whatever reason when this Muscat blend is filtered (just did it once few yrs back with rough and medium- not .1 steril) it was not debatable. It ended up much lighter- looking like a dark rosè.
I can only deduce that Muscat has got some powerful compounds to keep it light.

Ive seen it debated as to whether filtering strips color on reds. But for whatever reason when this Muscat blend is filtered (just did it once few yrs back with rough and medium- not .1 steril) it was not debatable. It ended up much lighter- looking like a dark rosè.
I can only deduce that Muscat has got some powerful compounds to keep it light.
Yeah, I know Alicante well ive got some vines. So the fact that one of the darkest grapes around didn't have a impact on the color has blown my mind. I guess I learned something from your batch of wine lol.

The few pieces of information on my Criolla Mediana Grapes that exists anywhere including in UC Davis's collection said that it would be very light red, I also had some zinfandel vines I suspect mixed in with another mystery grape and whatever that mystery grape is turned the wine dark purple like Malbec. So I was surprised I thought I was going to get a light low tannin wine and ended up with a dark inky wine that will blow your socks off with its tannins. Makes me wonder what that mystery grape is.

Your cab took off fast and looks good. The Avante yeast finished my ferment a day earlier than I had planned so be aware. You may be pressing on Friday.

What's in the barrel?

It’s looking like you called this one perfectly. I pitched the Avante yeast Sunday night at about 1.101ish.
By Monday night I had a good cap and SG just starting to drop a few ticks. Dosed the malo cocktail and full FermK dose. Tues was 1/3 so I dosed a full FermO dose. [K-1g/gal O-1.5g/gal] I sometimes see written 1 dose broken up in 1/2’s. Others I read call for 2 full doses. For whatever reason I went with 2 full doses this time.

And already 1.036 as of Wednesday afternoon. Temp has not gone above 81°. And the caps have been about a foot thick.
Anticipating 1.010-1.015 this afternoon and under 1.000 by Friday night. The aromas from fermentation have been the cleanest I’ve ever had. Especially during 2nd half it can take on a sharper acidic type aroma. So far Avante’s been a ‘steady eddy’—- which is a reason I might not be overly concerned if I ended not pressing till Saturday.

Sounds like we had the same ferment! I too, was quite impressed with the Avante and how it smelled during peak fermentation. Very neutral and clean. I pitched on a Sunday morning and pressed on Friday evening. Then racked off the gross lees on Sunday. I still have a tiny amount of activity-"tiny bubbles" as they say that I assume is the MLF finishing up.

Nice going!

Looking forward to your taste test report when pressing.

It’s looking like you called this one perfectly. I pitched the Avante yeast Sunday night at about 1.101ish.
By Monday night I had a good cap and SG just starting to drop a few ticks. Dosed the malo cocktail and full FermK dose. Tues was 1/3 so I dosed a full FermO dose. [K-1g/gal O-1.5g/gal] I sometimes see written 1 dose broken up in 1/2’s. Others I read call for 2 full doses. For whatever reason I went with 2 full doses this time.

And already 1.036 as of Wednesday afternoon. Temp has not gone above 81°. And the caps have been about a foot thick.
Anticipating 1.010-1.015 this afternoon and under 1.000 by Friday night. The aromas from fermentation have been the cleanest I’ve ever had. Especially during 2nd half it can take on a sharper acidic type aroma. So far Avante’s been a ‘steady eddy’—- which is a reason I might not be overly concerned if I ended not pressing till Saturday.
AJ, You dropped the Malo dry yeast in the primary? I usually wait till after I rack the Gross less off, have you had any issues doing that way? What Malo are you using? i have been using Chris Hanson CH16 which they recommended not to hydrate. Last year for me it took about 2 months to complete.
Mike

Your wine is rocking along AJ it's really got me excited lol.

My batch of wine went into secondary yesterday at 1.020. 4 days of vigorous fermentation and I can see the yeast swirling around in secondary very much active eating the last bits of sugars. I think it will be 1-3 days and it will reach final gravity.

RC-212 yeast. And the cleanest ferment I've had.

AJ, You dropped the Malo dry yeast in the primary? I usually wait till after I rack the Gross less off, have you had any issues doing that way? What Malo are you using? i have been using Chris Hanson CH16 which they recommended not to hydrate. Last year for me it took about 2 months to complete.
Mike

Yep. And here’s how that came to be my standard practice.
I was making seasonal juice thru my 20’s with zero winemaking knowledge. Only knew my fam’s old school ways.
May ‘17 on total impulse I picked up a few lugs of grapes grossly underprepared and 1.5wks before my prepaid juice was in.
My 1st solo grape batch and MLf. Not wanting to buy malo twice, I sought guidance on this forum and @Johnd suggested to co-innoculate ml directly after the yeast’s lag phase. Timing worked so I could just add the pressed skins to the juice using the active yeast & malo.
I followed his instructions. Researched like crazy. Got the chroma kit. And @2&3 weeks both had completed mlf. And if it ain’t broke.....
This is now my 8th MLf- all coinnoculated. All finished <1 month (knock on wood). So far I’ve used VP41 and Alpha. Always rehydrated with ACTI and given malo nutes in spite of what packaging said.
Apparently the low abv environment is a huge benefit for the bacteria. And it’s just important to properly feed both the yeast and the malo so they aren’t stealing food from each other. At least that’s what they say.

Last edited:
Your wine is rocking along AJ it's really got me excited lol.

My batch of wine went into secondary yesterday at 1.020. 4 days of vigorous fermentation and I can see the yeast swirling around in secondary very much active eating the last bits of sugars. I think it will be 1-3 days and it will reach final gravity.

RC-212 yeast. And the cleanest ferment I've had.

That makes 2 of us!

That’s good news about the 212 since funky odors the biggest strike against it when yeast selection comes up in convo. Sounds like your on your way to healthy and dry- which is the most I could ever hope for.

—-oh and Mac I forgot one thing. I inoculated the “family” red carboy as well. So #9 MLf but 1st sequential inoculation. Im curious to see how the cab and ‘family’ red’s mlf’s compare with each other. (Still hate not calling this wine by its actual name because of a few butthurt thin-skinned old timers. You know who you are!)

Last edited:
That makes 2 of us!

That’s good news about the 212 since funky odors the biggest strike against it when yeast selection comes up in convo. Sounds like your on your way to healthy and dry- which is the most I could ever hope for.

—-oh and Mac I forgot one thing. I inoculated the “family” red carboy as well. So #9 MLf but 1st sequential inoculation. Im curious to see how the cab and ‘family’ red’s mlf’s compare with each other. (Still hate not calling this wine by its actual name because of a few butthurt thin-skinned old timers. You know who you are!)
The 2nd day I smelled some sulfur and was like oh crap! I put more yeast nutrient and 45 minutes later it went away for good. Fermaid has saved this batch I got the lower temp range 64-73F. So that might have helped keep weird aromas down. The biggest smells I got transferring it were vegetal,earthy and tomato like straight up ripe red tomato. It was unique

(Still hate not calling this wine by its actual name because of a few butthurt thin-skinned old timers. You know who you are!)

The guy I picked grapes with this year is Itialian. Old school California Italian family. And when he heard I wanted him to help me pick grapes, he said, "you're making D@go red". I told him no, we are making Italian American Red. So we're calling it I.A.R. At least the case I give to him for his help will be labled I.A.R. His mom will think that's cool. (She and I make competing Limonchello)

The guy I picked grapes with this year is Itialian. Old school California Italian family. And when he heard I wanted him to help me pick grapes, he said, "you're making D@go red". I told him no, we are making Italian American Red. So we're calling it I.A.R. At least the case I give to him for his help will be labled I.A.R. His mom will think that's cool. (She and I make competing Limonchello)
Lol

1.007. Gonna do my best to try and press tomorrow. And I also have the I.A.Red mlf’d carboy on a heating pad now.

Blew the head gasket on my truck. Dropping off and getting a rental tomorrow after work. Hoping I have time.
Nice lol

1.007. Gonna do my best to try and press tomorrow. And I also have the I.A.Red mlf’d carboy on a heating pad now.

Blew the head gasket on my truck. Dropping off and getting a rental tomorrow after work. Hoping I have time.
I assume by having time for something, you mean to drop the truck off. You gotta do what you gotta do with the wine, when the time is right. It's called priorities!!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji6][emoji6][emoji485]

I assume by having time for something, you mean to drop the truck off. You gotta do what you gotta do with the wine, when the time is right. It's called priorities!!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji6][emoji6][emoji485]

Lol. Na that’s exactly what I did mean. Hoping I had time to press. Nothings close and have about 3+ hours added to my day now.
But tbh I don’t think I’ve ever actually pressed at ideal SG. Especially when it runs so quick.
But I may just do a late night pressing anyway. My nephew is spending the night with us so I wanna take advantage of a helper. Should be interesting. He’s 7 and has ADHD. But I’ve been grooming him. Here he is helping on my 1st grape batch IMG_0416.JPG

I wouldn't know ideal SG, if it jumped up and bit me. Got a cap forming, why bother pressing, that's the motto around here. Or maybe it is really, hey I got 3 hours here, seems close enough to done, press the durn grapes. Drink some wine.

Helpers are good. ADHD, keep them busy and interested and they can be some of the best helpers around. And start them young and they will always think it is fun to help. (Now to work on my grandkids)

I wouldn't know ideal SG, if it jumped up and bit me. Got a cap forming, why bother pressing, that's the motto around here. Or maybe it is really, hey I got 3 hours here, seems close enough to done, press the durn grapes. Drink some wine.

Helpers are good. ADHD, keep them busy and interested and they can be some of the best helpers around. And start them young and they will always think it is fun to help. (Now to work on my grandkids)

Such a good reply Craig!
Ideal SG? I dunno either. That was a big question for me when I started grapes- ‘when to press?’ I pretty much just go dry now or close to it, getting max days on skins. But I know many will press above 1.000. I’m sure there’s a good reason for it- but I just don’t remember what it is.
I like your motto. When the cap becomes weaker and soggy is when I’ll stop punching solely because the skins on top makes pumping out the free run easier.

Such a good reply Craig!
Ideal SG? I dunno either. That was a big question for me when I started grapes- ‘when to press?’ I pretty much just go dry now or close to it, getting max days on skins. But I know many will press above 1.000. I’m sure there’s a good reason for it- but I just don’t remember what it is.
I like your motto. When the cap becomes weaker and soggy is when I’ll stop punching solely because the skins on top makes pumping out the free run easier.

Same thoughts I’m having this year, going for longer skin contact time. Today is 8 days since crush, it’ll be 10 days by the time of pressing, good bit longer than usual. I usually press earlier while there’s a good cap, it makes pumping off of the free run easier when the skins are on top, and wine on the bottom, but it’ll work out just fine.

Same thoughts I’m having this year, going for longer skin contact time. Today is 8 days since crush, it’ll be 10 days by the time of pressing, good bit longer than usual. I usually press earlier while there’s a good cap, it makes pumping off of the free run easier when the skins are on top, and wine on the bottom, but it’ll work out just fine.

And I always just mix free run and press. I have a ratchet press and know I can't press hard enough to cause any effect on those seeds. It's all good. I am really missing making any grape wines this fall. grumble, grumble. But my wife is right, we got so dang much now we could go a long while without making some. I do plan to start a bourbon barrel kit I convinced her we needed and that will be another let them soak in the fridge for a week or two before I pitch yeast. The 12 gallons of Amarone I did that to are tasting really nice, 6 more months of carboy and into the bottle for about 2 years.

Latest posts

Back