Opening Wine Bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignoble Grape

Reaction score
Okay, so I am now several kits down and still haven't figured out how to open the wine bags. I kept throwing them away, but started a kit yesterday and had the foresight to save it and see if I could figure it out without all the liquid. Nothing doing.

Finally Googled how to open wine kit bags- thank you, YouTube-only to discover there's something called a 'wine bag decapper'.

Is this necessary? Or just capitalism at work? My scissors seem to be doing a fine job.

Okay, so I am now several kits down and still haven't figured out how to open the wine bags. I kept throwing them away, but started a kit yesterday and had the foresight to save it and see if I could figure it out without all the liquid. Nothing doing.

Finally Googled how to open wine kit bags- thank you, YouTube-only to discover there's something called a 'wine bag decapper'.

Is this necessary? Or just capitalism at work? My scissors seem to be doing a fine job.

I’ve always just used channel lock pliers, the caps pop right off.

Caps come off by hand with a bit of effort. If that doesn't work, I would resort to Johnd's method of adding some additional leverage.

I made myself a little tool to pop the cap off. Just a piece of wood with 4 screws in it to grab the cap and pop it off. Adam Smith was not harmed by some invisible hand in the making of this tool.

DSCN0644.jpg

I grabbed my bucket lid opening tool last time and they came right off. It just happened to be handy, but made the job easy.

I bought the tool. Interesting fun fact, it serves me than one purpose. Those wonderful shrink wraps, put them on a bottle, put the bottle into the bag decapper, invert into boiling water. Perfect every time.

I gave up using shrink wraps. I actually prefer the look of the exposed cork on the top.

I take a small pocket knife and slip it under the side of the cap and cut from the bottom to the top. This loosens it enough it just comes off by hand.

I just cut one corner of the bag off. Really guys this is so much easier.

Grab a handful of corner, cut it off above your hand, tilt and release your grip slightly. Sitting the bag of juice on the box the wine came in will put it at a good height for pouring into your bucket.

I just cut one corner of the bag off. Really guys this is so much easier.

Grab a handful of corner, cut it off above your hand, tilt and release your grip slightly. Sitting the bag of juice on the box the wine came in will put it at a good height for pouring into your bucket.
Exactly what I've been doing. Fun read to see so many different approaches. Went back last night try opening it with a beer bottel opener. Worked like a charm.

Really they make a special tool? All the kits ive done either a blunt kitchen utensil or a bottle opener does the trick, than rinse with RO water and pour into the primary

Latest posts

Back