Quantcast

Opened Carboy - lots of pop!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

pbacbell

Junior
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to winemaking, so please excuse if this is a dumb question. I have a Super Tuscan that has been in a carboy for over 3 months. I opened it tonight to take a sample. When I grabbed the stopper, it POPPED! Lots of CO2 escaped. Wine is clear. Should I degas again? Will I ruin it? This has never happened to me before.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I assume you had it sealed with a solid stopper? That is why I keep it under airlock. Others use a one-way silicon bung.

If it were mine, I would degas it (by your preferred method) and put it under airlock for a while.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I can only assume Paul's assumption is correct. Hard to believe a wine with an air lock would pop but really if it was solid and still degassing I'm surprised the bung was able to hold the pressure without coming loose.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Was the pop from vacuum? It has gotten colder which will cause your wine to contract thereby creating a vacuum you’d break the seal of when attempting to get a sample. In this case, do not degas again. Nothing else makes sense to me.