Opened bottles of wine,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I'm the only one drinking in my house and sometime I end up not finishing a bottle the first night. I usually push the cork back in tightly.
How long do you figure a wine keeps after you've opened the bottle?
My daughter bought me one of those vaccum pumps with two rubber corks to go in the bottles, but I haven't used it much.

The Vaccuum things are nice.
You gotta get someone to drink with ya

I'm the only one drinking in my house and sometime I end up not finishing a bottle the first night. I usually push the cork back in tightly.
My daughter bought me one of those vaccum pumps with two rubber corks to go in the bottles, but I haven't used it much.

Just a matter of days before it oxidizes

Forget about doodads like vacuum stoppers. What you need is training. With a good coach you can be drinking a bottle a day in no time! ;-)

Yes and if he comes to my home SWMBO and I can "teach" how to finish a bottle

I do use a vacuvin myself. You can and will see a difference between using it and not, once you do start to use it. I can have a young wine still taste good 3 days after opening it if I use the vacuvin. Opening the same wine and just using the rubber stopper without applying a vacuum will have a wine last 1 more day before starting to show a loss of flavor. At least thats my opinion from using a vacuvin.

I use the vacuvin for reds but not whites as I have noticed it pulls some flavor out even over night, I have not noticed this with the reds though.

My wife will put a stopper in it. Usually it can last up to one week before it turns sour tasting. Usually the bottle is finished in one evening.

I use a vacuvin and like it. But I also have started including more and more wine into my cooking. I enjoy the food better and the old stuff doesn't go to waste.

Also depends on the type of wine - for instance a Pinot Noir will oxidize much more quickly than a Merlot or Cab Sauv.
I use a vacuvin and it seems to work well.

Normally a bottle doesn't last more than a night. Recently I opened a bottle of my elderberry and only had two glasses after dinner.
Another reason I asked is that I'm starting to get a lot of 1.5 bottles from Carraba's and I defintely can't drink one of those by myself in a night,,,,
or so says the one who must be obeyed.

I save those for company or when bring it to someones home. 99.9% are in 750ml.
Try another place to save you bottles.

Forget about doodads like vacuum stoppers. What you need is training. With a good coach you can be drinking a bottle a day in no time! ;-)

lol

i've done this myself. general rule of thumb, you got about 2 days after. on the second you will notice it will be somewhat flat, but shouldn't be totally ruined by then. trick is to use the stopper when you are drinking it too.

I do use the stopper when I'm drinking. I let the bottle breath for a little before pouring my glass then put the stopper into it.
Normally two days is as long as one lasts, but it depends on a lot of what is going on. If I have something that dictates I don't drink, then it might got a while loner.

Latest posts

Back