Open bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almoo

Junior
Reaction score
After i done everything and left the process do it self, i opened the cabinet to check on the winemaking! i found out that the airlock exploded lol and covered with the grape juice! I guess the bubbles covered and blocked the holes in the airlock!! However i guess the bottle have been unsealed around 5 to 10 hours!

So my question is:
Should i throw it away cause it may got contaminated or should i wash the airlock and continue the process?

P.S.
I made it like 2 days ago.

It will be fine. If something comes up wrong it most likely will not be due to the airlock. A lot of us just ferment in an open bucket til the ferment gets where it is not producing much co2. Then it it time to airlock it. Arne.

It will be fine. If something comes up wrong it most likely will not be due to the airlock. A lot of us just ferment in an open bucket til the ferment gets where it is not producing much co2. Then it it time to airlock it. Arne.
Thanks a lot😍

I leave the top off of the 3 piece airlock until the activity has died down. Actually I don't even put it on till past peak anyhow. Those little holes just don't let enough gas out. The airlock is filled with StarSan so if something gets in it I don't worry too much anyhow.

I leave the top off of the 3 piece airlock until the activity has died down. Actually I don't even put it on till past peak anyhow. Those little holes just don't let enough gas out. The airlock is filled with StarSan so if something gets in it I don't worry too much anyhow.
Wow i guess im too paranoid 😅
Thanks mate

Its been two years since i start to make my own wine and its fun! Really but the thing is that i still can't know the deferences between them!

P.S.
I live i Saudi Arabia and wine and alcohol drinks kinda illegal lol

Its been two years since i start to make my own wine and its fun! Really but the thing is that i still can't know the deferences between them!

P.S.
I live i Saudi Arabia and wine and alcohol drinks kinda illegal lol
Alamo, what is the yeast that you use it for your wine

If you start it in a white plastic bucket (for food), you can lay a loose knit towel over it, to keep out bugs, dust, spills, etc. I do this for about a week or so, until my SG is at 1.010 or less (you DO have a hydrometer?) Make sure that you test the SG prior to adding (pitching) yeast, this will allow you to know the final ABV. I see that you have done this before, but basics are basic, not talking down!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back