Opaque Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbullard1

Reaction score
I don't know enough to ask a good question but Does this look normal On the left is a Sweet potato wine just removed from the primary, sweetened and airlocked, center is a frozen strawberry that is 3 days out of the primary, both recipes from Jack Keller's site and followed to the "Tee" and on the right is a spiced orange apple that I am experimenting with it is in the secondary for 5 days. All have remained in the dark and at 70 degrees +/- 3 degrees
I am just concerned about the opaque look, and thanks for your comments to a rookie
Picture001.jpg

Patience. And you may need to use some clearing agents.

Steve

Thank you for your response.
Patience: is something I have to learn with this hobby

What do I need to get for cleaning agents
I have none on hand

Sorry I do not have much experience with this type of recipe. I have my own 'opaque' gallon of apple-grape wine sitting in the room behind me. It is my first attempt at a non-kit. It was started the 29th of November and looks a bit clearer than yours. I'm following some notes from another forum. He used a two part fining,possibly K-C (kieselsol-Chitosan). I'll probably just try Isinglass. It's also possible that I might filter it at some point.

Here's a description of Clearing/Fining Agents that I found today.

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=47150#post47150

Steve

Depends on your patience. Pectic enzyme 1/2 teaspoon per gallon will drop the lees. The lees are already starting to drop. You can see them in the bottom of the carboy. I would wait and just have some patience. If you are losing patience the next time you rack, within 2 or 3 weeks, add some pectic enzyme. Those gross lees at the bottom of your carboy will eventually give your wine a sulphur odor. Not to worry, not a big deal, but normally a good thing to rack with the 2 to 3 week time limit. In the meantime buy some glass marbles and when you rack add the glass marbles to keep the head space in the carboy to a minimum. I would say everything looks normal from the pictures. Minimum head space, bubbles on top and dark room is good. You should have some great wine. The sweet potatoe wine will take longer to clear. Just a humble guess. See how much gross lees has already dropped in the strawberry? You will have to replace that, possibly with marbles when you rack.

Those colors are normal at this stage of the wine making game. Time will clear most wines but if you want to see quicker results the KC SuperKleer will do it fast. I have made a lot of fruit wines in my time. Did you use pectic enzme during primary fermentation? If not then you will need to use some to most likely get rid of a pectin haze and should always be used whenmaking a fruit wine even if not using using fresh fruit.

Things look good.

I would not use fining agents and just have patience.
Patience is the best fining agent off all.

Wine has to age anyhow so just wait.

Luc

It's only been 3 days and I am seeing a marked improvement in color, I have also added a pear wine to the group. The fermenting temperature under the wrap is 73.8 degrees Is that about right?
Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Its Amazing

It is truly amazing the difference a few days can make
On the left is a spiced apple that is now, almost as clear as the original juice and already displays the strong orange/cinnamon/nutmeg essences; My next batch will use a smaller amount or orange as it almost overwhelms the apple/spice. I think my family and friends would enjoy this in warmed cups during the holiday season in 2009. The other is my strawberry wine that already has a "KICK A$$" flavor and high alcohol content.
I can only imagine the flavors after some aging
Please forgive if I offend the the winemakers on the forum

Picture002.jpg

Did you say something offensive? Nice looking wines. I'm going to have to try making some fruit wines soon.

Latest posts

Back