Oops.....!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelight320

Junior
Reaction score
I know this is a real stupid question but unfortunately I must pose it because my home winemaking career is in jeopardy here.

I started a batch of mango wine and peach wine a few months back. Unfortunately, I got sick and was hospitalized and needed rehabilitation which lasted longer than expected. The problem is that both wines sat in their respective 1 gal. and 5 gal.carboys for longer than they probably needed to be. Their airlocks remained filled with water (as they did on the day when I filled them) and the room temeperature reained considerably cool.

My question is........will this wine be alright or should I just dump it down the drain and start all over?

Thanks,
Rich S.
Gettysburg, PA

Wow, nicely aged wine!!! Sounds good to me.

A little more seriously...unless there was a lot of sediment at the bottom of your jug/carboy they should be just fine. I would conduct a taste test.

Steve

I agree with all above comments and must add that you have just suffiently bulk aged your 1st wine. This is what most of us do to rid your wine of dropping sediment in your bottles and really let a wine mature properly.

Actually even when there is a lot of sediment the wine
can be good.
In France some wines are aged 'sur lees' which means on the lees (sediment). This can give the wine the idea of some sweetness and mouthfeel.
But then they stir the wine every now and then so the lees are thoroughly mixed into the wine.

Like said before: taste it, you might be surprised.

Luc

Latest posts

Back