Oops....I messed one up.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Mountains

Reaction score
After 5 excellent wine kits I have messed one up and bottled too soon. I foolishly bottled before the wine had cleared and now after two weeks in the bottle I see a LOT of lees at the bottom of the bottles. I'd say there was a lot still left in suspension. I could probably decant before I drank but could never "gift" a bottle out of shear pride.

I'm considering uncorking and putting all 29 bottles back to a carboy and finishing it off again. Anybody had any experience with this? Success?

It's a Ken Ridge Barolo kit.

Understanding that there was no better solution we've pulled the corks on all the bottles and returned them to a plastic container and then racked into glass carboy.

The sediment in the bottles was horrible.....such a terrible error. This shall not happen again.

Better record keeping began TODAY!

No doubt in my mind you did the right thing. You'll never regret spending the extra time to give your wine a chance, but you'd almost surely regret having 2 1/5 cases of gassy barolo.

Jim

Thats wht we bulk age for at least 6 months after fermentation has finished!

Thats wht we bulk age for at least 6 months after fermentation has finished!

I agree but not all of us have enough carboys to do that .I do now that I bought the used ones from the guy but it would have taken me along time to get 7 carboys if i was buying them new . What I would like to do now is buy a couple smaller carboys so I could bulk age and bottle age the same batch like someone mentioned here .

I agree but not all of us have enough carboys to do that .I do now that I bought the used ones from the guy but it would have taken me along time to get 7 carboys if i was buying them new . What I would like to do now is buy a couple smaller carboys so I could bulk age and bottle age the same batch like someone mentioned here .

This was part of the problem for me. When we started this hobby a little over two years ago the three carboys were plenty, and we could keep two kits going no problem with minimal juggling. We currently have two in carboys and two in primary....it's gonna get sticky.

Any feedback from folks on the PET carboys available? The claim to be oxygen impenetrable but I don't think they hold up to vac degassing?

Are they suitable for secondary and tertiary rackings?

Latest posts

Back