Oops I didn't refridgerate my yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satxwineguy

Junior
Reaction score
so I bought a few packets of red pastor yeast, and forgot to put them in the fridge when I got home. This was two days ago. The temperature in the house is a steady 73 degrees, so it's not like they've been hot. Am I OK to use this yeast?

Some kit wines and Wine making kits include yeast in their pre-packed kits and not all of them are refridgerated. Unless you subjected it to a significant amount of heat it should be fine. Worry more about the date on that package than want you've done in the short time you've had it.

Sealed, packaged dry yeast only needs to be stored in a cool (73° F is fine), dry place (plastic mylar packaging for wine yeast is also a dry place). If your house gets to, say, 90°F then full time refrigeration is necessary (or if you just want to routinely refrigerate your yeast that is also fine).

If you open a package, then you always should put in a fridge, and then you should bring it back to room (or cellar) temperature before using. Pitching in yeast direct from a fridge can cause temperature shock to the yeast, and is a more likely reason for observed yeast sluggishness or failure (not because it was stored wrong).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back