Oops: Didn't sanitize my painter bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinoOutWest

Reaction score
A newbie here with a newbie mistake. I'm on my 4th kit (RJS Winery Series OVZ with grape skins) and I did not sanitize my strainer bag before adding it to the must with the skins. The must was pitched about 36 hours ago and seems to have started fermenting fine so far.

Is there anything I can/should do at this point that could avert a spoiled batch?(other than crossing my fingers?)

Thanks!
Wino

Consider it part of your learning curve - we've all been there!!

I can't really say since I haven't had one go bad - probably the smell and taste could be a bit off and if something starts growing you know you have a problem! Others may have some better insight here for you.
Really though, if the bag was clean when you put it in you should have no problems.

I don't believe there is much you can do at this point. As said before look for odd smells, tastes, or strange floaters. I think it would help to get everything to optimal temperatures 70ish. The quicker there is a substantial amount of alcohol in the must, the more resistant it should be to possible contamination.

Back