Onto to secondary ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirknotes

Reaction score
Red wine grapes home grown - I had two must going a week apart, On the first set - I allowed the must to set for a week punching down every four hours until the SG was 1.00. I strained off the skins and seeds and moved it into to two one gal carboys with airlocks....allowed that to set for about 14 days, there has been no further bubbling on the airlocks for about a week now. SO - today I re-transferred to new carboys to get off the large amount of sediment and I added a campden tablet.... So I am now onto allowing this to age for thirty days. My question is - what temp do I need to keep these at - can they be kept in the cooler garage around 60 degrees - or do I need to continue to keep them in the warmth around 72 degrees for the thirty days?

If it was me, I would leave it in the garage. If you want things to happen faster, move it where it is warmer, it should degas faster and clear faster. After that, for me it would go back to the garage and forget about it for some time. Check once in a while for liquid in the air lock, rack when needed and keep the k-meta (campden) levels up. Arne.

Latest posts

Back