Onion honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
A friend is a beekeeper and for some strange reason had a few hives in an area where nothing but onion is planted - so he has alot of Onion honey that is not that popular for baking.
Anyone ever make a mead with Onion honey? I have a suspicion that it's not a good idea for a traditional but open to suggestions.

Mead opens you up for a variety of tastes, the sweet note is removed so any savory product that is found in the grocery could be tried.
The first one which I would consider is a hot pepper mead which is intended for mixing with tomato juice ( I have seen this as a wine several times). The second product concept I would like is oriental, (ginger, celantro, garlic, etc).

Onion honey might be good for some kind of metheglin.
Mead opens you up for a variety of tastes, the sweet note is removed so any savory product that is found in the grocery could be tried.
I find mead to be bland, so my batches have been metheglin -- cinnamon, cloves, allspice, etc. IMO those wouldn't work with onion.

For mixing with tomato juice? Cracked black pepper and celery seeds. Alternately, thyme and/or herbes de Provence.

For general cooking, ANY herb in the cupboard. Basil & oregano mead would be great for a lot of dishes.

Let's be honest -- no matter what is made, we'll all try drinking it. 🙂

Latest posts

Back