One Year Anniversary!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time flies - one year ago today I started my first wine, raspberry. I remember being very careful to exactly follow the recipe, worried I would ruin everything with one little misstep. Now I know that country wine making is "easy" - give the yeast a happy environment and stand back. Learned a lot, still more to learn. There will always be more to learn - and WMT is a priceless resource.
I've taken to this hobby with enthusiastic gusto. In 1 year I've made 53 different wines.
I think I need to start drinking more than just 1 glass of wine a day.

anniv 1.jpg anniv 2.jpg

@BigDaveK ... dude ... you need a hobby or something ...

🤣

Nope. Not a good idea -- there is strong medical evidence that drinking a limited number of glasses per day is best.

So do what I did -- get a larger glass!

wine-glass.png

All jokes aside, congratulations and happy anniversary!

Time flies - one year ago today I started my first wine, raspberry. I remember being very careful to exactly follow the recipe, worried I would ruin everything with one little misstep. Now I know that country wine making is "easy" - give the yeast a happy environment and stand back. Learned a lot, still more to learn. There will always be more to learn - and WMT is a priceless resource.
I've taken to this hobby with enthusiastic gusto. In 1 year I've made 53 different wines.

View attachment 93591 View attachment 93592
I love getting a look into the wine makers lair. It's fun to see how others organize and store their creations.

That's quite a stock you have there. Happy Anniversary.

View attachment 93591 View attachment 93592
I'd enjoy it if you listed off those 53 wines and rated the ones you have tasted. If you have time between making batches, of course.

I love getting a look into the wine makers lair. It's fun to see how others organize and store their creations.

That's quite a stock you have there. Happy Anniversary.
Uh...I actually have a third shelf started but there's only 3 wines on it (so far) so I didn't bother with a picture...and 2 in primary.

I'd enjoy it if you listed off those 53 wines and rated the ones you have tasted. If you have time between making batches, of course.
I may do that some day. The majority is still in bulk but starting this month I'll start hitting 6 months. If so inclined I can bottle 6-8 a month for the foreseeable future. It may seem like a lot of wine but some need 1-2 years. Just made sense to get them started.

I may do that some day. The majority is still in bulk but starting this month I'll start hitting 6 months. If so inclined I can bottle 6-8 a month for the foreseeable future. It may seem like a lot of wine but some need 1-2 years. Just made sense to get them started.
Not at all a pressure to bottle comment, I am in the same boat. Many started, but few ready. I am mostly curious as to all the variations you have made. I remember a post you made after one your first wines came due. You stated that you were happy drinking your DB and SP, but perhaps no longer... "This is SO good".

Even if you only have a few that you consider ready, I'd like to know what you think. Mostly what they are.

I enjoyed Skeeter Pee, Malt Lemonade, and Dragon's Blood. They were good for what they are. Fast and pleasant, just not amazing. My kits have been great, but only a few months after the 'ready' date. Anything else is still in secondary and not yet ready. I have to do another racking and airlock filling soon and some might coning around, but the country wines so far haven't come together.

Not at all a pressure to bottle comment, I am in the same boat. Many started, but few ready. I am mostly curious as to all the variations you have made. I remember a post you made after one your first wines came due. You stated that you were happy drinking your DB and SP, but perhaps no longer... "This is SO good".

Even if you only have a few that you consider ready, I'd like to know what you think. Mostly what they are.

I enjoyed Skeeter Pee, Malt Lemonade, and Dragon's Blood. They were good for what they are. Fast and pleasant, just not amazing. My kits have been great, but only a few months after the 'ready' date. Anything else is still in secondary and not yet ready. I have to do another racking and airlock filling soon and some might coning around, but the country wines so far haven't come together.
I agree completely on the SP and DB, good for what they are. At 5+ gallons it will be around for a while so it will be a while before I make more.

I remember the ground cherry blew me away. Harvest is just about done for the year. At 18 lbs so far I'm conflicted - big batch of tried and true or multiple batches with variations. Frozen so no rush.

BTW, spaghetti squash didn't make the cut. Not enough stand alone flavor for me. Same with luffa gourd (as in luffa brush). The young luffa have flavor (more than zucchini!) and are good stir fried or in soup, but not quite enough by themselves.

Latest posts

Back