WineXpert ?? on SG from primary to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
I started WE Sau. Blanc kit on 4/23 with a starting SG at 1.090. I racked to secondary on 5/1 with SG at 1.040. It was bubbling like crazy, and today it bubbled over the airlock, wine is in the airlock and down the sides of the carboy. I do not take the temp of the wines, probably should, right? My temp in the basement is a constant 68-70 degrees. I cleaned everything up. Is there something I should be doing? I thought I gave the kit plenty of time in the primary (eight days). Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks

Francie

Francie said:
I started WE Sau. Blanc kit on 4/23 with a starting SG at 1.090. I racked to secondary on 5/1 with SG at 1.040. It was bubbling like crazy, and today it bubbled over the airlock, wine is in the airlock and down the sides of the carboy. I do not take the temp of the wines, probably should, right? My temp in the basement is a constant 68-70 degrees. I cleaned everything up. Is there something I should be doing? I thought I gave the kit plenty of time in the primary (eight days). Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks

Francie

Sounds like it was not ready to be transferred into secondary yet, 1.040 is rather high to make the first tranfer.

It may be that it took two or three days for the fermentation to start? Do you have that info? I believe that the wine should stay in the primary until it is below 1.010 which generally occurs about 5 days after fermentation has begun.

Trubador is correct. I would encourage you to wait until the S.G. has dropped to 1.020 or lower.

Just an FYI the directions on that kit which I did 3 months ago say to transfer at 1.010 or less..

I agree always go by SG and not # of days as temps being low will make
the wine ferment slower and higher temps will speed up fermentation.
The # days is on there just to give an familiar wine maker an idea of
when to transfer but the SG is is much more important.

I would leave it alone if it is not overflowing your caboy anymore and
if it is I would just take some out and put it in a wine bottle with a
bung and airlock. If you do not have these supplies and it is still
overflowing your carboy you can rack back but be raedy to transfer
again to carboy and dont lose any of lees as your clarifier probably
needs them to properly clarify your wine when you get to that point and
dont lose any wine as you will have to top up more. Get every drop of
everything. If you use the wine bottle method make sure to add back
when going to add the rest of your ingredients first.

Thank you Wade. It is overflowing again into the airlock, so I will take some out and put in a bottle. Thank you!!

Back