Old wine... safe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabeyld

Junior
Reaction score
My dad just rediscovered some wine he made in 1987. The container it's in doesn't look to me to be particularly well sealed, so I'm worried it may be unsafe. The wine smells fine, somewhat sweet and fruity without much of an alcohol scent. Any input on methods to determine safety/drinkability of the wine? Any chemical methods for checking methanol content?

Did you open it already? if so "taste" it

Try a small sample, most likely if it smells good, tastes good, and looks good it ought to be good.

It looks sort of like a rosee, but I also noticed what looked like a very thin crystalline layer that was floating on top of it. My dad doesn't remember what he made it from, but said it's probably some sort of fruit, or possibly rhubarb.
I'll try a tiny drop of it and see what it's like I guess.

It looks sort of like a rosee, but I also noticed My dad doesn't remember what he made it from, but said it's probably some sort of fruit, or possibly rhubarb.

oh great, two posts and now gabey is dead. :re

ROFLMAO!!!!!! OMG!!!!!

gabey....oh gaaaa-beyyyyy....u still kickin buddy???

If your dad won't try it first, then I don't think I would either. His willingness would be a good measure of his confidence in his wine-making abilities.

It looks sort of like a rosee, but I also noticed what looked like a very thin crystalline layer that was floating on top of it. My dad doesn't remember what he made it from, but said it's probably some sort of fruit, or possibly rhubarb.

So, how's it taste Gabey? Anyway, if you were to ask me, my simple answer is you drink it. The wine has alcohol and it keeps bacteria and other nasty things from growing in it. Still, even the wine is ruined, it won't kill you, it'll just taste like vinegar.

My conclusion is you're not actually dead by just tasting the wine but either you are being hospitalized or enjoying the taste from that era. :i

Wine doesn't contain any human pathogens, so it will not make you sick. It may taste like s**t, but it won't kill you. May even be the best you ever drank!

Fred

Has anyone checked the emergency rooms or mourges :ts for our poor little Gabey?

I just wanna know if it tasted funky or not.

From a Biological standpoint, there are very few strains of bacteria that can hurt you that also can survive in wine.

Usually, the worse that can happen is that the wine will "sour".

the best way to tell is to simply pour a sample and smell it. If the aroma is palatable, then is should be safe to assume that the wine itself is palitable.

take a small sip.

BTW, is you life insurence paid up (just kidding).

Guys lol, i think we might have a possible criminal liablity issue on our hands now.. Ya kno, seeing as we told him to drink it and now that he has mysteriously disapeered and all..

Dont worry guys, ive been working on learning how to ferment the sweat outa prison gym socks.

Guys lol, i think we might have a possible criminal liablity issue on our hands now.. Ya kno, seeing as we told him to drink it and now that he has mysteriously disapeered and all..

Dont worry guys, ive been working on learning how to ferment the sweat outa prison gym socks.

Seth you are one crazy dude, why doesn't that surprise me? :) Keep the posts coming. I enjoy reading them and know you're still alive!

Troy didn't happen to be your families milk man when you were a kid did he! I can see some DNA resemblance. LOL

Rofl , that would give us a plausible explanation as to why he decided to live all the way over in Alaska now couldnt it? ha

Now that you mention it, we don't even know if his "real" name is Troy. And that beard.... that beard.... it kinda looks like one of those "press on" ones.

med_fake_beard.jpg

Latest posts

Back