Old vine Grenache.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Slappy

Reaction score
Pressed today. Ended up with 165 litres. Gravity reading was at 1.000 so perfect timing as it still has a couple of points to ferment. Spent hours scrubbing up and sanitising the press and my kegs and carboys. Probably not 100% necessary but the brewer in me likes things to be spotless. I kept the free run and pressings seperate so was around 120 litres free run and 45 of pressings. When I first rack after mlf complete I will blend in 20 litres of the pressings to beef it up a bit. I have kept aside the best 25 litres of the pressings to bottle seperately and they are exactly what I was looking for - a deep dark full bodied beauty. Have fortified 5 litres of it to 20% abv with some neutral spirit as I love vintage fortified wines and I have a feeling this will be special.

I expect the main batch to be a very fruit driven medium bodied wine. Now the waiting game begins. Can't wait to see how it turns out with a little time and nurturing.

Slappy

Reaction score
20180324_225542.jpg20180324_225906.jpg
Deep dark pressings - ended up with 45 litres of this good stuff. Glass pic a little blurry but you can really see just how much darker it is than the free run wine.
The finished free run will end up a bit darker once I blend in 20 litres of the pressings further down the line.

Slappy

Reaction score
lemme know if you need someone to help drink it! :ib
I reckon I might have to take you up on that offer. Will have more than I can drink!

I like to share stuff if it turns out well which is why I always seem to only have a few dozen beers around the place even though I brew constantly from autumn through spring. This winemaking hobby is to fill in the summer so I don't get bored. And so far I've found it just as satisfying :).

CK55

Banned
Reaction score
Only downside to Grenache is that it really likes to oxidize you have to be really careful with it. Other than that I like Grenache Based wines. Ive got a grenache/syrah kit going right now

Slappy

Reaction score
Bit of an update.
I have just finished my final blending after 2 rackings.
What I have now is 50 litres unoaked free run that I will bottle in the next few weeks to drink over summer. This wine is very light bodied, raspberry and spice/white pepper dominate it's profile and will be enjoyed best while still so young and fresh.
I blended 50 litres that has been on oak for 4 months, 60% French Oak and 40% American oak - this is all pressings so has more color and tannin. This will sit to age for a few more months at least and will likely bottle when I need the storage for next vintage, it has some interesting anise characters and a bit more darker berry fruits and quite firm tannins for a grenache. I really think that in the 2-3 year bracket it should be drinking wonderfully so I'll stash a couple of dozen when I bottle that.
Finally I kept 10 litres of the best French Oak pressings seperate and this seemed a bit astringent and over oaked to me so more time needed. 3 distinct wines from the same grapes and I'm happy I didn't just mix it all in together at the start.
The pics are of the blended French and American oak. 20180923_134608.jpeg20180923_134639.jpeg

Slappy

Reaction score
I have now bottled the last of this 18 vintage Grenache. All up around 15 dozen bottles, having made 2 very distinct wines in separating the free run and pressings, pressings split 60% on French oak and 40% on American oak then blended back. I’m very proud of these wines, especially the pressings they have shown me a glimpse of something special and I look forward to watching it evolve over the next couple of years. Happy days :).IMG_0371.JPGIMG_0322.JPG

Attachments