Old school Dandelion Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined this website and found this.. I know it’s a year old but thought I would reply. I have my old recipe from 40 years ago. I would make it every year. If anyone would ask what it tastes like I would say. “It tastes like liquid sunshine”. I loved it. I still have the info.
Are you going to share the receipe?

I must have posted the recipe here before so I won't repeat it.
It came originally from my grandmother (circa 1975) and we make between 12-24 gal/year.
It remains one of our most requested wines.
The only ingredients- 12-20 lbs, of blossoms picked in full sun- no stems.
No need to separate blossoms from sepals.
Zest from a dozen oranges and a dozen lemons.
Juice and reserve.
1 cinnamon stick
Boil in 5 gal kettles for an hour and steep overnight.
Strain. Add juice.
Chapitalize to 1.096
We usually ferment on D-47
I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Two questions: Boil in 5 gallons of water? What is "Chapitalize"? I have a yard full of dandelions and look forward to trying your receipe.

Hey Yooper. Welcome to this forum.
I am curious. I see that CJJ Berry has a recipe for dandelion wine. He says no stalks but that there is no need to remove the yellow petals from the base. Other recipes say that if you don't remove all the green the wine will be very bitter. This year my plan is to make a gallon of this wine... but should I strip the flowers or leave the flowers intact?
Thoughts? Thanks.

Here are Jack's 30 favorite Dandelion recipes! winemaking: Dandelion Wines Let us know what your favorite is - I'm at a loss for picking a favorite to try!!

My favorite variation is to use pear juice as the backbone that feeds the yeast. The reason is that pear is mild and let’s the dandelion shine through.
Here are Jack Keller’s 30 favorite Dandelion recipes! winemaking: Dandelion Wines Let us know what your favorite is - I'm at a loss for picking a favorite to try!!
I was disappointed my first time doing grandpa’s yellow raisin version. The raisins hid the delicate dandelion aroma/ flavor.

Pixies Pocket has a recipe for a dandelion ginger wine. Its a wild ferment, so easy and it smells and tastes lovely. Ive eaten the greens before, they're incredibly bitter so always avoided them for wine. I hear they're not as bitter when young but still wouldn't put them in my wine.

Hey everyone, I've been making some home made wine for a few years now and absolute love it! My Italian grandmother just recently asked me if I could do a dandelion wine, she and her family used to make it when she was real young but she can't remember what the recipe was. Does anyone out there have a recipe for a 5 gallon batch? I've looked around but can't seem to come up with a solid formula for 5 gallons, or a link to a recipe. Thank you all so much!
old school hangover comes with it - drank that in my teen years - in the 80's - oh my - not bad at all -
didn't think people still drank it or even made it - being an Italian that was made often - just like grappa now with age creeping up the old guards have moved away from this wine - a lot of work - as they moved away from making wine from grapes

Two questions: Boil in 5 gallons of water? What is "Chapitalize"? I have a yard full of dandelions and look forward to trying your receipe.
Hey Dizz -

Chaptalization is the word for adding sugar to increase the finished alcohol content in wine.
I have no idea on the boiling, though. Have never made, or drunk, dandelion wine...

Scott

Latest posts

Back