Old Rhubarb Wine recipe HELP!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam500k

Junior
Reaction score
I have started my first recipe of making Rhubarb Wine using a very old recipe that was in my great grandmothers cookbook. The recipe did not call for yeast of any kind. What I am wondering is, I have strained the liquid away from the rhubarb, lemon and berries. Poured back into the stone crock and put the lid on it. I lifted the lid today and there is a thick layer of what I am assuming a yeast from fermentation. Do I leave that alone until the 10 days are up then skim this off? Not sure I know what to expect as I have never made wine before.

Thank you for any advice
Beth

Welcome.

Could you post what you've done in detail so far, like any additions of water, sugar, quantities of rhubarb etc? And dates like when you started this and how many days you are into the process?

I know of some folks who used to make wine in their stone crock without any yeast then transferred to carboys and it seemed to work for them. I'm sure there will be others who can chime in with more experience in going the non-yeast fermentation route.

If it is a white film on top of the wine, it is not the right kind of yeast and will probably not taste good. I would recommend using a wine yeast next time to make sure you get the right population of yeasts competing against indigenous yeasts and molds that will not give you what you want.

Latest posts

Back