Old products

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kivanc

Reaction score
Making wine with old products

Hi,

I'd like to make wine from 4.5 lbs of strawberry and 1 gallon of water. Would that be enough?

And my yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, acid blend, pectic enzyme are old. But they smell fine, they haven't got expiration date. Would they still serve the purpose?

Last edited:
How old? If it's only a year or 2 old & has been stored properly, it should be just fine. I routinely use 2 or 3 year old acid blend, yeast nutrient/energizer, DAP, etc...
with no issues whatsoever. I purposely buy more than I need at the time, just so I'll have it on hand when I want it. As long as it's stored cool, dark & dry, there shouldn't be any issues.
Regards, GF.

How old? If it's only a year or 2 old & has been stored properly, it should be just fine. I routinely use 2 or 3 year old acid blend, yeast nutrient/energizer, DAP, etc...
with no issues whatsoever. I purposely buy more than I need at the time, just so I'll have it on hand when I want it. As long as it's stored cool, dark & dry, there shouldn't be any issues.
Regards, GF.

Thanks...
I think they are more than 3 years old. I keep some of them in the refrigerator and the rest at the cool, dark, dry place..

Last edited:
I'd worry more about the quantity of strawberries you have. For Strawberry I'd kick that up to at least 6-7 lbs per gallon. Strawberry flavor will also favor a lower ferment temp as well. Be sure to rack off those seed / lees promptly at 1.025 SG. I know most times people talk about doing it at 1.010 but those seeds are capable of releasing some troublesome smells and flavors. Of course use a very fine fruit bag for the strawberries.

I'd worry more about the quantity of strawberries you have. For Strawberry I'd kick that up to at least 6-7 lbs per gallon. Strawberry flavor will also favor a lower ferment temp as well. Be sure to rack off those seed / lees promptly at 1.025 SG. I know most times people talk about doing it at 1.010 but those seeds are capable of releasing some troublesome smells and flavors. Of course use a very fine fruit bag for the strawberries.

I will follow this recipe then:

9 lbs of strawberries
1 gallon of water
2,5 lbs of sugar

Last edited:
Wow 9 lbs - that's going to be a no-water added one for sure. Just be prepared to get the lees out quickly when you rack out of primary fermentation. Strawberry is the only wine that has totally failed on me went to the dark side with H2S and I couldn't resolve it.

Wow 9 lbs - that's going to be a no-water added one for sure. Just be prepared to get the lees out quickly when you rack out of primary fermentation. Strawberry is the only wine that has totally failed on me went to the dark side with H2S and I couldn't resolve it.

Thanks for the advice..

I'd use the hydrometer to get reading up to 1.090 or a little higher. So I might use a yeast (BIOFERM CHAMP) which will work up to 17% alcohol.

Last edited:
I have a few more questions:

1. Do I need to stir the must just after I add pectic enzyme, acid blend, yeast energizer and yeast nutrient?

2. After 24 hours, would it be ok if I just sprinkle the 17% tolerant wine yeast onto the must or I need to make a yeast starter first?

Last edited:
it is best to hydrate the yeast before pitching. sometimes with strawberries it may be best for a yeast starter, it cuts down the lag time for the yeast colony to achieve critical mass for fermentation.

Stirring to mix all ingredients is best. also stir twice a day after adding yeast. the yeast love the small amount of oxygen that is imparted during the stir.

Are you talking about the yellow seeds on the outside of the strawberry?

I've started to ferment 9 lbs of fresh strawberries last week. I racked off the lees at 1.015 SG. I tasted it. There was no troublesome smells and flavors. Then I topped up the secodary. While in secodary I've noticed some tiny yellow seeds gather around on the top of the must.

Last edited:
My fermentation of strawberry wine is finished at 0.98. It smells strawberry but it got a acrid taste. What can I do to make it more flavorful?
Thanks...

Strawberry needs to be backsweetened to bring out the flavour, stabilize the wine with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite, sweeten with a simple syrup to taste. Be careful as apparent sweetness will increase as the wine ages.

Latest posts

Back