old pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
since my third sp is not clearing well (even after superkleer), does pee improve with aging like any other wine? i sure hope so...

I am not 100% about SP - so this could be wrong - but it might be pectic haze. Do the instructions call for any?

Since skeeter pee is basically water and lemon juice it's not going to improve over time.

Since skeeter pee is basically water and lemon juice it's not going to improve over time.

so how much time can i give it...it's been more n 3 weeks...going on 4. it's not terribly cloudy, just not clear like the first two batches. just go ahead and drink it anyway?

so how much time can i give it...it's been more n 3 weeks...going on 4. it's not terribly cloudy, just not clear like the first two batches. just go ahead and drink it anyway?

I have the same problem with my orange wine...

If you haven't tried pectic enzyme; give it a shot. I had the same problem with a batch that used gooseberry slurry. Although the gooseberry wine had pectic enzyme treatment and it cleared fine, the SP didn't want to clear. I treated it with pectic enzyme, gave it about a month, then hit it with superclear. After adding the superclear, it actually got worse. It then stayed cloudy for about 3 days without change and then miraculously fell clear overnight. Weird.

If you haven't tried pectic enzyme; give it a shot. I had the same problem with a batch that used gooseberry slurry. Although the gooseberry wine had pectic enzyme treatment and it cleared fine, the SP didn't want to clear. I treated it with pectic enzyme, gave it about a month, then hit it with superclear. After adding the superclear, it actually got worse. It then stayed cloudy for about 3 days without change and then miraculously fell clear overnight. Weird.

hmmm...next racking i will treat with pectin enzyme and will report back!
thanks lon!

I added some pectic enzyme to my newest batch of s.p. Technically you shouldn't have to use it but I believe it helps it to clear faster. That and a good whipping to degass helps.

36 hours after 1 tsp. pectin enzyme and racking and sooo clear i can see the bottom from the top of the carboy...wth...
thanks for the suggestion!!

Back