Old Orchard Red Raspberry batch started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nx9i

Junior
Reaction score
Well, I started a 3 gallon batch of Old Orchard Red Raspberry. It was a request from my better half and my mother, so I thought why not. So I went with the following for this batch............

3 Gallons Old Orchard Red Raspberry 100% juice
3 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
1.5 Tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 Tsp Acid Blend (.62% Tartaric)
7 cups sugar for SG 1.090
Lalvin D47 yeast rehydrated.

***Now, the juice was added then I took an SG reading PRIOR to sugar to see what the juice had for sugar. It measured 1.050. This is where I started for the sugar. 2 cups brought the SG to about 1.060....too low. At 7 cups it was just at 1.090. perfect.....***

*** My acid test PRIOR to acid blend was very very low- like .37%. 1 Tsp acid blend brought it up to .62%. ***

After adding the nutrient, sugar, and blend, I mixed with my drill attachment.

I then rehydrated the yeast, per instructions. I then pitched the yeast and then mixed again with the mix stick. I covered the primary under airlock, and placed it in a closet.

almost 18 hours later, bubbling galore..... Opening the fermenter, fizzing sound going on, and airlock bubbling like mad. Smells great........

So, so far so good. I'll update as it comes along....

Hope this wasn't too long winded.....:D

Paul

Sounds great Paul. red raspberry is one of my favorites. Never used the juice before just fruit. Keep us updated.
Steve

UPDATE: DAY 4 Checked SG. It dropped to 1.026..... Definately time to rack into secondary. The D47 really worked ok.

So tonight I'll rack, and try to get a pic up here....

Paulie

Sounds like you are doing a great job. You followed the steps of the process to the T. Looks like a great winemaker in progress here! :r

Ok. After racking to secondary, SG dropped to about 1.008. Still is bubbling pretty good. I'll rack again when it goes to about .996ish. Otherwise, seems good............:D

racked to another 3 gallon carboy- final sg .992. Now letting it clear out......

Looking good.......:)

Latest posts

Back