old labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that end up with the sticky residue left on the bottle I found a product that works real good. GOO GONE. A little on some paper towel and I can clean the residue off in a few seconds.

For those of you that end up with the sticky residue left on the bottle I found a product that works real good. GOO GONE. A little on some paper towel and I can clean the residue off in a few seconds.

I agree! The stuff works great!

I 3rd that and in fact have to get another little can of it at Home depot. That can lasted about 1 1/2 years. A little goes a long way!

I was womdering how or if the goo be gone would work .I have used it before on others & was worried about getting it inside the bottle by mistake. I have a natural product that I was thinking about trying also because I have used the sponge that came with it & it works good . Has anybody tried the Mr Clean magic sponge ?

“Pressure washer” Lay down a rubber matt, place your left foot on the neck of the bottle and blast away. You can remove the tags and glue off of a lot of bottles in just a little while. Start at the edge of the label and it’s history
Kjp45

“Pressure washer” Lay down a rubber matt, place your left foot on the neck of the bottle and blast away. You can remove the tags and glue off of a lot of bottles in just a little while. Start at the edge of the label and it’s history
Kjp45

Heck, just go with a sandblaster.

orange-based household cleaner/solvent works as good as goo gone IMHO and is a little less harmful IMHO... but honestly, if the labels don't come off after a 24-48 hour soak, upright in a bucket or tub, weighted with clear water, then i recycle those bottles... i am not going to break my back dealing with 3 or 4 stubborn labels... if i note that the label is plastic coated going into the bucket, i'll run a knife down the label a few times to break that plastic barrier. that seems to work well too.

I was womdering how or if the goo be gone would work .I have used it before on others & was worried about getting it inside the bottle by mistake. I have a natural product that I was thinking about trying also because I have used the sponge that came with it & it works good . Has anybody tried the Mr Clean magic sponge ?

Never tried the magic sponge, but not sure it would work very well on label glue.. As far as the goo be gone.. I usually clean 4-6 bottles at a time in the sink.. What I do is fill the bottle with water and cork it with an old cork.. This way the bottle doesn't float. Let the bottles soak for about 10 minutes or so then use a razor scraper to get the majority of the label off. If it doesn't come off easy, I usually get rid of it.. Then I use the goo be gone.. Works like a charm!

Kjp45

I like that idea.. Now that the weather is getting nicer I may try it!

Yes, a single edge razor scraper. I then use my bottle brush and some oxy solution to scrub the bottle. I can do 20 in about 10 minutes from the time I bring them inside till the point they are all on the tree drying. I used to use this method but that got old and actually takes longer not counting the soaking time. yes there will be some (maybe 65-70%) floaters which are really nice but the rest are actually worse IMO as the glue is now all pliable and spreads instead of being hard and scraping right off. and then there's the cleanup of the tub.

That's a great idea however, if my wife caught me using the tub for that I would be in BIG TROUBLE! lol:slp

This is what I use to do. The orange cleaner does work but not as good and is very oily. I have a bottle of that down there to which I will be bringing back upstairs and go back to the Goof off.

Bottles.jpg

I fill the bottles with baked sand and stand them in very, very hot water with a little detergent. They just slide off.

I agree, except it smells like paint-thinner in a can. So I tried paint thinner on the tough sticky bottles and guess what, it works great. So my advice is buy a gallon of paint thinner for the same price as one little can of GOO GONE. Leave the bottles in the garage for a couple hours after cleaning to let the vapors dissipate.

Some labels (Zarpedo Malbec, for example) just fall right off with a little water. Some have to be razor scraped. Yellow-Tail never comes off easy. We actually pick cheap wine now based on how easy the label will be to remove rather than the actual taste of the wine! :)

Baked sand Leanne, please explain?

It's a trick a very old wine maker taught me. Bake the sand at a high heat and use it to weight the bottles so that you can do larger numbers at a time because they are all standing up rather than floating around. The sand also absorbs the heat from the hot water so that the glue on the label melts very quickly.

I have one of those big tubs with rope handles. I fill it with standing bottles, sprinkle a 1/2 cup of oxi clean and use a garden hose fill all the bottles then the tub with hot water. Most fall off in a couple of days.

Peanut butter

I use the razor either dry or wet depending on the glue the winery uses, but I was always discouraged with some of the ones that seem to use epoxy/cement. Often I would just toss them. Then I discovered peanut butter! I rub it on the stubborn glue then scrub lightly with a stainless steel scrubbie and dish soap...gone.:b:dg

Latest posts

Back