old labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa b

Easy does it
Reaction score
What is the easy way to remove old labels from old wine bottles, i soak them in water overnight and work okay, still a lot of scraping, any hints ?
thank You
Papa :dg:dg

I have lately just been scraping the labels off down the bottle cold instead. I think I actually prefer this method better now. I scrape them in my sink dry and cold and then dont have to deal with glue from the labels getting all over everything and believe me its gets everywhere. Im sure it probably even gets in the bottles and wonder if we truly ever get it all out that way.

I have lately just been scraping the labels off down the bottle cold instead. I think I actually prefer this method better now. I scrape them in my sink dry and cold and then dont have to deal with glue from the labels getting all over everything and believe me its gets everywhere. Im sure it probably even gets in the bottles and wonder if we truly ever get it all out that way.

Scrape with what, a razor blade?

Depending on which wine, some are harder than others. I try to clean 4-6 at a time to save on making it a big job. What I have found to work for the bottles I get is fill with hot water, wait 5 minutes for the glue to soften and then peel/scrape off , put under tap to finish off. Self adhesive come right off. Thats what works for me anyhow.

Yes, a single edge razor scraper. I then use my bottle brush and some oxy solution to scrub the bottle. I can do 20 in about 10 minutes from the time I bring them inside till the point they are all on the tree drying. I used to use this method but that got old and actually takes longer not counting the soaking time. yes there will be some (maybe 65-70%) floaters which are really nice but the rest are actually worse IMO as the glue is now all pliable and spreads instead of being hard and scraping right off. and then there's the cleanup of the tub.

Bottles.jpg

I was warned not to let bottles soak in water to loosen the labels because the glue dissolves into the water. When you empty the bottles, there is glue residue inside the bottles that may not all rinse out easily. Be sure to thouroughly rinse them out after to prevent this.

I usually just run hot water over them to soak, spray with windex and use a knife to scrape. They come off pretty easy except for a few stubborn brands that use some sort of supercement glue whose residue on the bottle defies even the most vigorous steel wool scrubbing.

I did some today probably about a dozen wine bottles and some small bottles for my skeeter pee when it's ready . I just wash them in dish soap & really hot water if they weren't rinsed out right after emptying them if they were rinsed I just soak the labels off and put them away until I'm ready to fill them .At that time I used the same cleaner & sanitizer I use on all my wine making equipment . I have the jet cleaner that hooks to your tap for rinsing the bottles if it can survive that with hot water going through it then it gets to stay there .I really don't think there's enough glue on the labels that once we clean properly it would even matter .

I don't let the soapy, glue'y (is that a word) in my bottles. I stand them all up in a Laundry tray (24 at a time) and fill them with water so they don't float. Then I fill the sink up about two inches above the labels and put about three scoops of oxy clean in. About 2-3- hours later I come back and remove all the labels with a razor scraper. Some floated off already, most come off fairly easy and others come off but leave glue on the bottles. I leave those for another hour or so and then the glue comes off pretty easy with a scrubbing pad. When I get about six cases cleaned I rinse them all with one step and let them hang on the trees. an hour or so before using them I sanitize them again with k-meta.

I am going to experiment with Wades dry removal.

I have noticed the green bottles are easiest to clean, blues are next and the clear are the hardest to get the labels off. Has anyone else experienced this. It not just one particular wine and the bottles are come from the same winery.

I don't think it has anything to do with what type of bottle it has more to do with what glue the winery uses .Some just fall off and others take some work ,I even noticed the I buy some are easier to remove then others .

I know this is off topic but I was trying to remember which labels you guys buy to make your own labels I think someone said the avery ones were good .

Darlene, yes it is Avery labels. I use 8164.

I wash my bottles by color. They are all from the same winery, same label, same glue and different types of wine in the same colors. That is why I was questioning how different colored bottles with the same applications can be more stubborn.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try the dry method. I grabbed a scrubby sponge last night that I had used to clean off glue a few weeks ago. It got glue all over my hands again. grrrrrr

I have not tried it yet. I will on my next batch of bottles. My dad said I should smear a little peanut butter over the label. He said the oil or something in it disolves the glue. I will try it soon and report back.

I would be trying that peanut butter thing because I have a niece & a friend that have serious live threatening allgery to peanut butter even a small trace .

To each their own but I bet I can have 10 bottles cleaned and delabeled and on the tree before you could get all those bottles filled and the tub filled! Hehehe. You have to do it a few times and have a very sharp razor scraper.

Ok, I always scrape horizontal when doing it my way. Using the dry method I had to go vertical and the label pieces kept sticking to the blade. So tell me daddy Wade how can I improve on the dry method short of getting a boy. :cw

Get the blade a little damp with soapy water so that the label material doesnt stick. only a few will do that and those are the ones that dont usually come off in the tub proceduer either. The faster you go the easier it gets, just keep your hands way at the top and the bottle in the drain part of the sink so that its stable. Ive tried every method out there with the exception of very harsh chemicals and this is the quickest and easiest and easiest on my back also.

Back