WineXpert old kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
I got a kit thats been kept in a fairly cool place for a longggggg time it's a 2003 kit could it possibly still be good??

its a creme sherry kit

It's old, but I would open it, give it a smell and check the color. If smell is OK and color is not too bad, give the must a taste. You might be surprised. If it smells and tastes OK, I'd at least try to make it, even if the color is a little off.

that was my thoughts I mean if nothing else all i'll lose would be time and a bit of sugar lost more than that in a day just messing with family

Another option, if you don't really want to try it as a sherry, would be to use the concentrate as sweetening packs for other wines you make.

Dugger, normally I would say this is a good idea but Sirs is unsure of the concentrate. Adding it to other wines could contaminate them if there is a latent problem with the concentrate.

Sirs,

I had an old one also... got it for a bargin. The juice smelled ok, and it turned out just fine. My kit recommended adding brandy. You may consider adding some Everclear along with the brandy. Yes, take all steps to prevent contamination!!!:d

Dugger, normally I would say this is a good idea but Sirs is unsure of the concentrate. Adding it to other wines could contaminate them if there is a latent problem with the concentrate.

Yup, absolutely, if the concentrate is no good. If it looks, smells and tastes okay, though, I would feel safe in using it.

Back